Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Garnish

Hoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT (1999)
Will a VT garnish line up to the VX boot lid exactly? I am buying a VX boot lid and wing and want it on my VT.

Just making sure before i buy it...

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes, especially when you see VX garnishes on VTs every day of the year.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
They are exactly the same boot lid, except that the VX has a VX garnish and the VT has a VT garnish.
Come to think of it, they're exactly the same body, doors, boot lid and bonnet etc.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Will a VT garnish line up to the VX boot lid exactly? I am buying a VX boot lid and wing and want it on my VT.

Just making sure before i buy it...

Just some things to keep in mind, do with them what you will....

1, Swapping to a VX garnish will lose the key hole. Automatic release only. No problem unless your remote plays up or your car has a flat battery. Some people just paint their VT garnish body to get around this.

2, If changing to VX taillights, keep in mine you will not have any reflectors at this point. Hence why VXs have reflectors mounted in the bumper.

Don't really care if you don't care... just make sure you are aware in case you do care about these things.

Hoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT (1999)
are reflectors needed for it to be legal? i don't mind about losing reflectors and the key hole as i don't use them.

i am considering buying VX lights too from the same seller. just wondering how to wire these up though since the reverse lights are in the side and not the garnish.

<images removed>

Last edited:

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
Yes reflectors are needed. Though it appears those rear lights you posted have them in.

As for the keyhole thing, you could also get from a VX/VY the manual release cable. Has a yellow tab that sits behind the fold down part of the seat in case the electrics fail.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Pr3tzals

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S1
Yep it's a straight swap on my old VT I swapped out my old garnish for a vx garnish with the lights as I reckon they look much better.

Here's a guide if you need help on the removal :)

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-remove-garnish-vt-boot-lid.205688

I'm not sure if the VT loom will fit 100% into those lights as on my vt I had to get new looms off a vx but until I got them I put them in and just taped them yes I know it's not the best idea but they will work in the mean time until you get a loom.

To remove the lights open the boot and theyre held in by two screws and when you remove the lights pull it to the side and not to you so you don't break the clips or you will have a loose tail lights as in it will wiggle a tiny bit.

EDIT:

If you get the loom for them then you should be fine by removing the lights and turning the bulbs to removed them and unclip the loom by taking off the clips on the carpet behind the the lights and unclip the loom and pull the old loom out and replace it with the correct one and they should work fine.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
To make the reverse lights work, find the light green wire in the main loom before the the tail light on the right hand side.
Splice into that wire and run a separate wire across to the reverse wire on the left hand lamp assembly.