Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gas on a 5lt??????

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Vy Senator Signature 5.7lt auto
Hey guys I was wondering if it would be worthwhile getting my 5lt on Duel fuel. I dont no much about gas on cars but will this ruin my car? and if i was to run it on petrol will I still has as much power as i usually would? If anyone has experienced this or knows about this that would be great if you could help me out.
Thanx in advance

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
hey mate my vp 5ltr was duel fuel and when runnin on peterol it was normal but gas u could notice a fair bit of power loss but if you do alot of hwy driving its really good, i drove from nowra to newcastle not long ago and by the time i had drivin round the city for a bot i had still only used qtr tank of gas!

walesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
according to whereis.com.au thats 334kms...thats 1336kms to a tank on the hwy... around town its also pretty good

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
That sounds alright but I have heard that if you are running duel fuel your car will not run as well on fuel but if you were to go st8 fuel or just st8 gas it would as good as it ever will. I am not too sure if it will be worth doing the convereion or not I am just tossing up the posibilliyl atm because of the government rebate.:yeah:

walesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
well ive only had duel fuel in mine not straight gas or peterol but seems to run just as good as any other stock 5ltr

danielsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SS 5.7/A4
I have heard that if you are running duel fuel your car will not run as well on fuel but if you were to go st8 fuel or just st8 gas it would as good as it ever will.

if you run one of the more expensive systems which have a seperate ECU with the gas timing on it, you shouldnt loose any power/economy when switching back to petrol. On the regular setups you will loose some power and economy as the factory ECU has to handle both fuels and (unless i'm wrong) you can only have one timing setup on them.

94 Stato V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Series 11 wagon, 2014 VF SV6 Storm Ute
It really depends what your intended purpose of the car is. I personally wouldn't have another car without Gas, It makes a V8 more economical than a Hyundai Excel, and I know that from personal experience.
Yes you are right on the power loss, but what the hey! If you need the power, just turn it over to Petrol and AWAY you go. You do need to run on petrol occasionally to help stop the injectors blocking up anyway, gives a good excuse to give it the berries too.
The only downside is it takes up a far amount of room in the boot if you do any travelling or camping etc.
The govt rebate is an added bonus too, shouldn't cost too much out of your pocket to do it then.

Tim

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
I personally wouldn't have another car without Gas, It makes a V8 more economical than a Hyundai Excel, and I know that from personal experience.

Hey Tim thanx for that From your experience how many kms would you normally of got to a tank of gas in normally everyday driving?

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Gas Research

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about a gas reasearch gas systm. How much are they? and will i be getting the same power and good economy with one of these systems?

94 Stato V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Series 11 wagon, 2014 VF SV6 Storm Ute
Hey Tim thanx for that From your experience how many kms would you normally of got to a tank of gas in normally everyday driving?

I dont get to drive it much around town to be able to give you an accurate mileage, the missus uses it heaps more than I do. To the best I can remember tho, when we first got it about 6 months ago I think it was around 300-330k's around town, stop/start, climate control.