Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gas tank vs Sound System

pill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
As per the title, I have just acquired a VT (exec) and am intending to install both of these. Gas is being installed professionally, getting $3k back towards it (something the government is actually good for?), but i'm putting the stereo in myself. However, i've found a conflict: it's fine cause the subs can sit further in in the boot, but where do i mount the amps? I've had a few ideas, but there are problems with each:

• on the back of the rear seats
- but i won't be able to get to them after the gas install
  • underneath the parcel shelf
- but probably won't fit with gas tank / won't be able to get to when gas is in
  • back of rear seats, but with some sort of slidey removal system
- but expensive, hard to install and hard to mount so they're secure while i drive
  • under bottom of back seats or behind back seats, but not on boot side
- but no way that would fit / poor ventilation
  • under front seats
- but would get kicked, and wouldn't be good for the amps i'd think
  • some sort of custom fibreglass boot
- i'm a uni student and i couldn't even afford a quote on it. (thus why the car's going on gas). I've already got the stereo from a previous car, however :)

I intend to mount two amps (one 4chan pioneer, one 4chan blaupunkt) running with 2 subs, 2 6x9s in parcel shelf (already installed), and 2 6inch pioneer splits in front doors/under dash.

Has anyone come across a similar dilemma or have any suggestions as to where the two amps can find a new home?:bow: any idea will help!

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
If the amps are for subs, You can screw them to the sub box.
Otherwise you can bolt them to the bottom boot carpet and put a "dummy" floor on top of them (with ventilation)

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
I had gas, now i have subs... Never going back, I hated how gas ran

pill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
If the amps are for subs, You can screw them to the sub box.
Otherwise you can bolt them to the bottom boot carpet and put a "dummy" floor on top of them (with ventilation)

(back of sub boxes) i don't like the idea of the amps vibrating with the subs, and being able to roll around, would there be a good way to lock them to the outsides of the boot? contrary to my last car, there's barely anywhere to put any restraining ockey straps or anything on...

(bolting to floor) where do you reckon would be the best for that? on the sides? i wouldn't want to screw it through cause i might not be able to get the tire out unless i cut a hole in the boot mat, which is something i don't want to do. perhaps a replacement boot mat would be good? could be difficult to find one to fit perfectly but i'll check (i work at super cheap auto, we sell some rubber ones...), thanks for the idea! anyone else?

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
im going with a false wall in front of the gas tank with the amps and sub mounted to that. Going to try and and build a sub box to angle around the tank slightly then build the wall around it. You could try moulding a fibreglass box in each corner of the boot (behind the taillights) for each sub, or if fibreglassing isnt your forte, they are always available on ebay.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
pill your kinda answerin ur own Q's here lol

The amps should have rubber grommits on the screw holes to eliminate vibration.

Doesnt really matter if you put it on the box or not... the whole car will vibrate if the sub n amps any good.

The carpet above the spare tyre is re-enforced with masonry, You can just pop holes into it and bolt the amps to it... That way you can still get to your tyre, the amp will lift with the carpet

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
And like HoZy says... subs in cars with gas dont sound too great, the gas tank baffles the bass to the front of the car

Id be more worried about the vibration in the gas tank than in my amp lol

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
And like HoZy says... subs in cars with gas dont sound too great, the gas tank baffles the bass to the front of the car

not true at all, couldn't tell any difference in sound quality when my gas tank was fitted. And what the hell is vibration going to do to a thick metal gas cylinder?

pill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive

heh yeah true. The tank could be a problem, but cause of all the holes in the (underneath metal part of the) parcel shelf the sound should find it's way through (i'm not sure how high up the tank will sit, but yeah). thanks for your help. I don't mean to answer my own questions but that's just how i think through things :s hehe

the floor might be a good idea, i could get a perspex cover so i could still put stuff in afterwards too, put the wiring down through the spare wheel hole, get a couple of 12v fans rigged up, do you think that'dd work well?

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Yeh not true all i said was I had gas, now i have subs lol

I used to run a 80litre tank 65litre usable an 2x12" subs & 3 amps in my boot.. sounded great.. i just got rid of gas cos i hate it even though its cheap.