Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gas tank vs Sound System

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
heh yeah true. The tank could be a problem, but cause of all the holes in the (underneath metal part of the) parcel shelf the sound should find it's way through (i'm not sure how high up the tank will sit, but yeah). thanks for your help. I don't mean to answer my own questions but that's just how i think through things :s hehe

the floor might be a good idea, i could get a perspex cover so i could still put stuff in afterwards too, put the wiring down through the spare wheel hole, get a couple of 12v fans rigged up, do you think that'dd work well?

Honestly tank wont be a problem at all, the only downside to it is it takes up space! Your false floor plan sound good, sounds like a fair bit of work tho!

pill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
decisions, decisions...

Honestly tank wont be a problem at all, the only downside to it is it takes up space! Your false floor plan sound good, sounds like a fair bit of work tho!

hey, yeah, it's a releif that it won't stuff up the sound. However, i just went and had a look at how the sub boxes themselves fit, and unless i wanted to buy/build custom boxes it could really make a false floor tricky (not to mention making changing the tyre difficult).

i think i'm gonna go with mounting the sub amp on the back of one of the sub boxes (it just fits) and mounting the 4-speaker amp on the fold-down for the middle rear seat (considering the gas tank will cover the whole boot anyway). That way i should be able to get to both amps if i need to adjust the settings.

Is there a trick to getting the stereo rca leads/ amp battery cables through the firewall, through the cabin and into the boot? or is it easier to go underneath the car (thats what i did in my old car). What do you guys recommend?

<edit> or is there a particular guide on the forums i should try and find?

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
dude i wouldnt run the wires under the car, u will risk them getting damaged, the sound system being put in first is easy cos u have a few free holes in the fire wall. theres one right up in the top corner on the passengers side....but they use those for the gas install so u might **** them off doing that, other wise u can use the big rubber grommit where the clutch cable for a manual would go. that all i could use cos i had gas installed already and being a calais all the holes were filled with wires. then run the calbles down the sides under the interior skirt then take the back seat out n there is holes to run into the boot

Also ur spare tyre deal, id be more worried about the gas tank trapping ur spare tyre, that happened to mine cos the bolted the plastic flap thing down with the gas pipe...then again that was more cos the pipe wouldnt run out the side cos the stupid stock stacker.

I was planning on bolting my amp onto the floor, easiest way and the problem with it being on the sub box is its easily stolen togther. anything is better than what im doing now, its just sitting in there sliding around and occasionally il have to get out n reconnect up a wire lol

pill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
ok. that'll make it easier than drilling holes in the firewall.
From those with experience, what's the best way to get wires from the head unit to the boot in a vt?

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
ideally, down the centre however this requires removal of the front seat. Otherwise, go for the opposite side that your power wire is running down.

pill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
wiring to the boot

so down underneath the carpet?

Are there any trenches that go down the car for other types of wiring that i could use?

and which front seat would i have to take out to do the above?

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
so down underneath the carpet?

Are there any trenches that go down the car for other types of wiring that i could use?

and which front seat would i have to take out to do the above?

yep, under the carpet. The stock wiring to the boot i believe runs down the drivers side, there isn't a trench but its just sorta right in the corner. You will also need a torx head screwdriver to remove the side scuff panels on the doors to get to the carpet.

As for which seat, whichever side you choose to run the wires down. Word of warning tho, don't start the car until you reconnect the yellow cable attached to the seat, otherwise you will get an airbag warning light on your dash. The only way to get rid of it is to get it reset with a tech2. Matter of fact, your battery should be completely disconnected while you're doing any work like this.

Running them down the centre is a pain in the ass, upto you whether you think its worth it. It does give you a little bit of extra length on your rca's though, as having the gas tank in the back leaves the standard 5m rca's slightly too short to work with. Either way, run the rca's underneath the gas tank right in the middle.

pill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
thanks.
it's not too hard to run things under the centre console, but would it be difficult (do you think) to get through (to) the carpet in the back to continue the rcas from the boot to the head unit area?

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
by carpet in the back do you mean in the boot or near the back seats?

pill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
like, the floor carpet that sits under your feet and goes up the sides to underneath the seats.