Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[WA] gear stick and steering wheel shudders

vxdriver11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx acclaim s2
my gear stick and steering wheel shutters quite badly when i brake....it doesnt always do it but might do it worse than the time before, the gear stick moves back and forward quite a lot. Sometimes the steering wheel will just shudder but most times its the gear stick too. I just bought the car and it was suppose to be fixed, wasnt doing it this bad when i took of for a drive before i bought it i was told the brakes were done and that was the problem but obviously not. any suggestions what it could be?

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
while idling or just general driving does it shake at all?! or just when you brake?

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
could just be your rotors need skimming mate. Cost about $35 each to skim from any mechanic, or you could replace rotors.

vxdriver11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx acclaim s2
its just when i brake, the steering wheel always does it but the gear stick doesnt but when it soes its bad i put my hand on it and it moves back and forward

vxdriver11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx acclaim s2
thanks, yeah a few people have said that, are they easy to fit yourself im a female dont know to much lol

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
well if you want new rotors, they are pretty easy. Just have to take wheels off and calipers then tap the old rotors off and put the new ones on. Might be worth your while just getting them skimmed. I just had mine done.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Before you go spending cash on replacing the front rotors , just make sure that it is the front ones that need replacing. I had similar problems with my VX. I replaced the front rotors , pads , Radius rod bushes and numerous other bushes and the problem persisted . I took it to Just Brakes and they put the front wheels on what looked like a dyno and when they applied the brakes there was no shuddering . Then they done the same to the rear wheels and the shudder came back . So i spent heaps of $$$$$$ s on the front end when it was the rear disks that were stuffed. Just something to think about .

vxdriver11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx acclaim s2
kool thanks......found out it is the front rotors the back are brand new hit a curb today n stuffed my both left tyres.....bugger lucky rims were ok, had a look when i went to get new tyres and he said the front ones just need skimming its not as bad after the wheel balance but still there so will do it tomorrow glad its nothing to big, cheers for ur help!

vxdriver11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx acclaim s2
cheers thanks for that! found out today it is the front, just need skimming put new tyres on and was a bit better after the balance but was still there so ill get onto it.