Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

gearbox change?? advice

stock_vl

wh internationals?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais 3.0L
anybody wanna shed some light on changing gear box's??
anybody done it before?? i wouldnt mind some idea's on this type of thing.
considering doing it by myself....

thanks ppl!

Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Crapbox
auto -> auro, auto ->manual, Manual-> auto or manual -> manual?

stock_vl

wh internationals?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais 3.0L
auto to manual!
including the clutch etc....

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Make sure you get all the parts.. then if your not competent I'd get a mechanic to drop it out and change it over.

I've never had a transmission out of a vl to be honest. It's something I don't want to tackle. I'm sure its not as hard as I've got myself thinking it is. But we'll find out sooner or later.

stock_vl

wh internationals?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais 3.0L
yeah im thinking get all the parts i need and have a crack at it!! if i **** up without breaking anything i will take it down the mechanic's!!

seventh path

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VL RB30 Berlina
i done auto to manual.......you have to remove the steering column to change the pedals, disconnect the exhust after the cat to drop the engine back and make sure you get a dummy shaft......otherwise the clutch is a pain to line up!!!!and also the spiggot bush has to be a n/a one....the turbo ones are slightly different as i found out the hard way!

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Whats this dummy shaft business... Can you do a step by step on the entire process? I'll have to do it in about... a months time.

seventh path

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VL RB30 Berlina
first of all.....jack the car up and put it on safety stands(i found it easier if i put the whole car up!!)start by splitting the exhust where the cat is then start removing the auto trans.....torque converter, mounts the usual sorta stuff( make sure that you take the auto selector out).....once you have the auto out, undo the 6mm bolts in the steering column linkage and take off the panels around the steering column inside the cabin. once you have done that, undo the nuts supporting the steering column(one one the firewall and two up near the ignition)and remove the column assembly. then remone the old auto brake pedal and fit the new clutch/brake pedal assy.....refit steering column and fit clutch master cylinder(this bit is a pain cause it a bit awkward)once that is all done, it depends wether or not you have a dummy shaft for the next bit.....if you do, the fit the flywheel and tap the spigot bush in softly and evenly, as they are easy to damage. fit the clutch assy loosley and slide the dummy sahft is(a dummy shaft is a cut off input shaft from a old gear box) and tighten the clutch. if you dont have a dummy shaft ,fit the flywheel and put the clutch assy on a flat surface. with a set of verneers, measure the sides of the clutch so that the friction plate is even all the way around on the pressure plate, then you can get a tool from any auto parts store to hold the assy in place. carefully bolt the clutch assy onto the flywheel. once you have done this, fit the manual gearbox without the shift lever in it to the car and bolt everything up. plug all the sensors in and fit the shift lever and console piece. reconnect the exhust and the slave cylinder, fill and bleed then put the car back on the ground. unplug the auto loom near the brake booster and fit the manual loom(you also have to bridge the neutral start switch on the plug near the booster)....that should be about it.....i have most likely forgotten something cause i did this a while back but if you have any questions then message me!!!

stock_vl

wh internationals?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais 3.0L
oooh bail on this......

old man can buy his farkin auto for a million doller's i couldnt give a crap!!! then im gunna sell it!!
take a loan and buy a vt or vs.....

meh..... why must i always cop the bullshit!