Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox / Clutch Noise - SV6

kronich3244

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Manual, VZ SV6 Manual
Hey all, im new on here and have just brought a vz sv6 on 84,000k's as per usual when i looked / test drove the car their were no noises or anything out of the ordinary.. 1000k's later i have a noise coming from the Gearbox / Clutch... When im sitting in neutral with the clutch out you can here it from underneath the car, sort of sounds like a slight rumbling / tumbling noise, when i press the clutch in the noise goes away.... Could it be the Thrust Bearing???? Also one time when i gave it a hit in 2nd gear and changed into 3rd really quick i felt the clutch slightly slip, could that have anything to do with it???

Any help would be much appreciated, and thanks in advance!!

kronich3244

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Manual, VZ SV6 Manual
so i know the clutch is on its way out... but can anyone confirm that the Thrust / Release beareing is the noise im hereing??

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
When im sitting in neutral with the clutch out you can here it from underneath the car, sort of sounds like a slight rumbling / tumbling noise, when i press the clutch in the noise goes away

Assuming that the transmission contains the correct quantity & type of oil, from all the manual cars I've ever owned, this sounds like a gearbox front bearing, layshaft bearing, or 1st - 2nd - 3rd gear (constant mesh with layshaft) roller bearing issue. Had the identical issue in my V6 VN with T5 transmission. Clutch thrust bearings usually make noise if you lightly rest your foot on the clutch pedal with the engine running & gearbox in neutral. Once the clutch pedal is fully depressed, the thrust bearing usually stops making noise under clutch pressure plate load (unless completely shagged).

Although it may not be terminal, try replacing the gearbox lubricant in the first instance & see if that helps.