Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox noise in vs v8 series 111

pusslux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L MAN UTE
yeah thanks for that mate, its very helpful. I will post when i get the bugger going again

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux Ute - Vs Ecotech Engine
Basically on what your saying I would say front input shaft bearing of the gearbox. If it goes away when the clutch is depressed that rules out throwout bearing - as it would be noisy when in contact with the clutch - I do not know much about these boxes - but diagnosis is the same pretty much for all gearboxes.

pusslux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L MAN UTE
Gues what????? new clutch kits installed and got an A.O.K in the input shaft bearings and threw it back in and the clunking noise is still there!!!! I think when the gears are bouncing down the road i will get a change over. lol

revhead001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Manual Wagon
I am not sure how the Getrag box is for gear chatter, The T56 or almost any of the late model Tremec gearboxs suffer from chatter at idle, but it is a problem that alot of gearboxs suffer from and is not nessicarily a big drama. If it were a bearing problem it would be present all the time through the rev range. Alot of late model gearboxs run a spring loaded sling on the drop gear of the lay shaft, sometimes this can fail and the result is gear chatter at idle, which is annoying, but not lethal.

pusslux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L MAN UTE
hello guys, i thort i should let you know i found the reason for the noise. It turns out that most of the injectors were almost blocked and causing the motor to vibrate/rock, this apparently caused "gearbox slap" I installed a new set with a new filter and problem solved. Im happy again and the old gurl has stacks of power now