Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

gearbox noise

krisjanik

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl executive
hi i have a 96 vs 5 speed when i shift to second gear and it only dose it in second i can hear a crackling noise coming from the gearbox any ideas the oil level is fine im thinking its a bearing if so how much to service/rebuild a t5
thanks guys

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Probably the synchros gone - second gear is usually the first one to fail and the only remedy is to 'feel' the gearstick from 1st to 2nd and don't force it.

krisjanik

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl executive
it hapens wen im driving in second not shifting sorry

zegerman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive MANUAL
possibly the front spiggot bearing... ive had to rebuild my t5 because of it. does the noise only happen when when driving slow?? or is it a constant noise?? also if it is the spiggot bearing it will happen in first and when sitting still with your foot of the clutch. however if there is no noise in 1st and neautral its a possibility you may hav chipped or lost a tooth on 2nd gear. the bearing kit and all new syncro rings will cost about $440. i did it myself over two days so it was nothin for labor. but if the box is out i reccomend a new clutch for the hell of it.