Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox oil for T5

hdtkid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commy
I have stoped using manual gear oil and started using straight up ATF fluids and the gear shifts are much lighter and theres been no weird noises even after doing 8hours driving in one day. so i think the AFT as recomended by tremac is the way to go.

with the manual gear oil in the car the shifts were very hard when the car was cold on winter mornings.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Just looking through the Gregorys workshop manuals for VN , VP, VR and VS models.
The VN manual says the manual gearbox should use 2.00 litres of Shell XGO 75/90.
The VP manual says the manual gearbox should use 2.05 litres of Shell XGO 75/90.
The VR manual says the manual gearbox should use 2.05 litres of Dexron 111 (3) ATF mixed with 150 mls of Lubrizol 7906.
The VS manual says the series 1 BTR T5 manual gearbox should use 2.05 litres of Dexron111 (3) ATF mixed with 150 mls of Lubrizol 7906.
The VS series 2 vehicles with Getrag type 260 manual box should use 1.7 litres of 75W/85 gear oil.
The manuals all say that these amounts are approximate only, and these boxes should be filled until oil just starts to run out of the filler plug, with the vehicle level of course..

I have stoped using manual gear oil and started using straight up ATF fluids and the gear shifts are much lighter and theres been no weird noises even after doing 8hours driving in one day. so i think the AFT as recomended by tremac is the way to go.

with the manual gear oil in the car the shifts were very hard when the car was cold on winter mornings.

Agreed, I tried both gear oil and ATF and AFT is definitely better in a T5 and that is what my T5 has been abused with for many years.