Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox oil leak?? Where could it be coming from...

T

t3zza

I have a VT 5L 5 speed manual, and it appears that there is oil leaking from the gearbox housing. I cleaned it all up recently but noticed that there is oil leaking from it again. I have noticed that gear change between 1st to 2nd, then 2nd to 3rd are a bit rough through the gears. I then put a fully synthetic oil in trying to solve the problem but no luck. It goes into gear alright but it doesn't feel smooth.. Could this be related to the gearbox leaking oil. I have head that the gearboxes do leak a bit, but how can you stop this or fix it. In regards to the gear changes being a bit doggy what is the best fix for this. I was thinking of using something like NULON gearbox conditioner stuff, would you recon this could help?

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I'd say it needs some more oil to stop the crunching etc.

I just fixed a leak with my vl, was coming from the rear extension housing at the very rear of the gearbox, where the tailshaft meets the gearbox. Was fairly easy to do myself. Might be the same spot as yours?

T

t3zza

Yeah its coming more from the front of the gearbox, not the rear. I couldn't see where, but I haven't had a chance to crawl under all the way. The oil was filled a month ago, so I am not sure why it still does that. :b:

oh well

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Might wanna try a thicker oil to stop the crunching, as for the leak. Could be rear main or anything coming from the front.

EddieLawson

Reaction score
Sure it's gearbox oil and not engine oil? The rear seals on the engine, if leaking, will drain into the cluch bell making it look like a gearbox leak.