Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gemmy!

damankerrison09

Blue 87 VL
Reaction score
Members Ride
5 Speed VL SL
Hey guys i just bought a gemmy as a run around as some nice person stole my car and well couldnt get it started up the road and so they decided to F*#K hell S*#T up...
So anyway, it has a 4 barrel webber carby on it, and a sports exhuast. It comes with a stage 4 cam out of a mates old gemmy, and a big exhuast and extractors, oh yeh it has a welded diff! Woo for me haha

Anyway my question is, what sort of power am i looking at if i was to rebuild it, say 30 thou over sized, bigger valves, wack the cam in and possible get some dellorta side draughts for it? all of which will be done cheap cos a mate owns a reco joint :dance:

Also with the welded diff when i turn sharply ( i know its ment to skip and **** me around ) But it seems to cluck the tighter i go, and the ass end feels like its bouncing around? is this normal as i have never had a locker before, or could it be the "torque tube" i think thats the right thing aparantly they were out the rubbers and the tailshaft or something slaps around.
But yeh thats it really

Any feedback or help will be great

Cheers Daman

damankerrison09

Blue 87 VL
Reaction score
Members Ride
5 Speed VL SL
Tyres

Also i have a set of 14 inch mags for it, just wondering whats the biggest tyres i could put on it, i think they have 195 60 14's i was thinking maybe a 205 50/45 14 or soemting a little wider for more traction in the wet, its a skittish little car lol

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
What you do is up to you but why spend this much money on this car? Why not save it towards getting a better car? Was your original car insured?

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
heaps of good info over on ozgemini.com, your gem sounds pretty nice alot of people have similar setups, you could go for a 5 speed gearbox if you dont have one already, i assume it has the stock g161z in it? you could always upgrade to the g180z or the g200z, they are quite easy conversions, theres HEAPS of different conversions people have done 13b rotary is pretty popular also the sr20det and ca18det

eurekamad94

street kiddo
Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted, tuned, sick pantha VS
i remember when i was younger me and dad rebuilt a 79 gemini sedan i think we spent about 2g on it

it had 180hp at the wheels and went like hell

but i cant remember exactly what was done to it sorry

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
i remember when i was younger me and dad rebuilt a 79 gemini sedan i think we spent about 2g on it

it had 180hp at the wheels and went like hell

but i cant remember exactly what was done to it sorry

Why didnt you just make up "what was done to it", like the rest of the story.

Your dad should have kept it, would have been a good match for the VN down the 1/4 :yeah: