Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gen-F GTS vs AMG A45

b_lake1

Salt Dog
Reaction score
Members Ride
5.7L VY Calais
may seem like a biased opinion but for some reason the GTS does it for me. I am not a fan of euro/ euro styled vehicles. I think having a family history with Holden kinda persuades my choice but then again if it was a choice between the same GTS and a 1949 Chevy Fleetline Leadsled or something similar, my decision will change in a heartbeat. :smoking:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
HSV over quoted the GTS' power. Apparently it's around 314rwkw then after a tune it's around 350rwkw.
I'm the first to knock the GTS but I've run the numbers and looking at it's weight and the MPH it's bang on.

vyseriesII

The Blessed Hellride
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VyS S2 Blown
i agree, commodores are pretty yawn worthy

nah, not on meff bruss(da smokin kind eh), we be rippin some hella skids deh bro. Give us a break deh cuz Affer all we just all bogans a lookn to mix it up wiff ya hardtops, fords n pro silverrados kentoxsesss.

Last edited:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Not taking away from your vh but Mercedes lack soul?
Do you know the brands history?

I guess a large part of it is I took a mass produced car, ripped it all apart and rebuilt it to reflect my own personality. There's a lot of me in my car

And yeah I'm familiar with Mercedes history and I've driven Mercedes (not AMG) and several other late model performance cars including an M series BMW and various HSV's. I don't intend any disrespect to either the AMG or HSV. And I'm not singling out just Mercedes. More-so a lot of the late model cars in general. I jump in a brand new luxury performance car and think wow, this thing is so comfortable, it hammers & it handles. But most have some sort of automatic transmission that all but drives the car, traction control, ABS, yaw control etc etc.... Yeah most of those things can be turned off, but still you feel like there is a lot of electronics between you and the car.

I then jump back into my crude 82 SS Commodore with all it's imperfections and rawness and I feel like I'm driving a car again. It's me driving the car, not the other way around. I kind of connect with the car without any artificial barriers - probably sounds crazy, but probably makes sense to anyone who is passionate about older skool muscle cars etc This is also the same model car that was built specifically so that a bare bones Commodore could be homologated to race and win Bathurst. This car has Australian motorsport heritage, it's the same model car that Peter Brock won Bathurst in. Which means so much more to me than a car built in Germany which has no such links to Australia.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
It's called progression. When the VH was released I'm sure people said the same about power steering, disc brakes and A/C.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
It's called progression. When the VH was released I'm sure people said the same about power steering, disc brakes and A/C.

You missed the point of what I was getting at. Of course it's progression. It doesn't change the fact that it is further disconnecting the driver from the car and that's something maybe you like. It's a great thing from a safety perspective, but it takes away the driver element of the car - cars have become very clinical.

disc brakes, power steer and A/C were common in Australia from the early 70's (common in other countries even before that), long before the VH was released. Wasn't exactly ground breaking stuff back in 1981.

And even that aside, they didn't take away any of the driver element of the car. Driver was still 100% responsible for vehicle control - steering, braking and throttle.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8

I agree that the joy of a garage spec wheel alignment correction in a non Power steer vehicle and feeling such an improvement in your control is a part of the sensation Darren has eluded to. some of which can be lost in Power steering equipped models.
- disc brakes over drum brakes and A/C over vents and fans, hardly what I would consider upgrades capable of even marginally taking away from "driver feel" and a "one-ness" with the vehicle.