Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

general discussion all things v6

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
Yeah the auto's also defying logic. I bought the car with 108,000km on the clock and it was flaring on the 3-2 kickdown like it was about to let go. It's now at 293,000km and is exactly the same despite a lot of heavy towing and only one flush in all that time.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I'll rephrase my above comment. I've actually never 'killed' an auto. The first one (original) would flare slightly at every change, and took about 10 seconds to go from park to drive, drive to reverse etc. when the engine went bang I just replaced the auto with another second hand one.

The second one I put in seemed all good except for the 3-2 kickdown too. It was very slow at shifting, replaced the solenoids and it didn't make a difference. Scared me in the wet a couple of times, it would click out of third, rev to 6,000 and then slam into second. Damn thing drove me insane. I converted it to manual to 'fix' that problem.

After that, I put a getrag in which lasted about 30 seconds.

The last box I put in is pretty good and has lasted around 25,000km so far which was about 12 months ago. It's starting to flare a little when downshifting at wot (only sometimes), but apart from that it seems great. :p

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Sounds like our old VS, the tranny was always threatening to die and I had a spare sitting there for that day but it just never quiet let go, would slip like a bitch if it got to hot or with heavy loads and lots of throttle but otherwise it went just fine.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
My old vs auto trans was like that too until one day it became a 2 speed auto lol and that's when the manual t5 went in

moneypit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
Well I have just done the valley gaskets. When you drain the oil and it looks like chocolate custard, that's bad right? lol. She's a VS with about 240 K on it.

Old owner swears oil was changed often, but in the valley, sludge on the sludge, damn. Still engine sounded healthy and no smoke, just drank a heap of coolant. I only drove it a couple of times, then parked it for a while, now this weekend she will be back running.

I cleaned the sludge out of the valley with diesel and a brush, then flushed the valley area and out through the sump with a couple of litres (diesel) as well. Then put cheap oil in and ran it till warm, drained it and refilled with some 10-30 I got on special. Filter change as well, just as well supercheap filters are only 8 bucks odd! Will do a run around the block then change it for some castrol edge 5-30. Scored that on special as well can't complain.

My theory is the thinner oil will flow around really well, and being the good stuff should slowly help clean the gallery's of any goo hanging around, plus it's what Castrol recomend anyway, so can't do any harm right?
Got me why most oil sites recommend 5 or 10-30 and penrite recomend hpr15, 15-60, it's a big difference don't you think?

Anyway fingers crossed, I will let you know how I go !

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Well that's the theory on the oil, thinner viscosity for ohc engine as it gets to the top quicker where it's needed.
The bad about going to thin, it won't stay in the bearing on the older engine that wasn't designed for it and especially it it's done high km's, the bearing (main, rod & cam) rely on the oil staying there, theoretically the crank and bearing surface shouldn't actually touch and the film of oil is what's between them, so going to thin will wear things out much sooner.
I wouldn't be running 5W30 or 10W-30 in a 240,000 Km ecotec, 15w40 at a minimum, i'd stay with 20w50 personally though.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Well that's the theory on the oil, thinner viscosity for ohc engine as it gets to the top quicker where it's needed.
The bad about going to thin, it won't stay in the bearing on the older engine that wasn't designed for it and especially it it's done high km's, the bearing (main, rod & cam) rely on the oil staying there, theoretically the crank and bearing surface shouldn't actually touch and the film of oil is what's between them, so going to thin will wear things out much sooner.
I wouldn't be running 5W30 or 10W-30 in a 240,000 Km ecotec, 15w40 at a minimum, i'd stay with 20w50 personally though.

My owners manual lists 10w-30 as the ideal viscosity, well when new anyway lol

nateshashone

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr belina
my engine is all back together now

11998467_10153679295704214_533851701_n.jpg
[/url] http://postimage.org/