Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

General electrical question, figured this might be the best place to post...

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
What your getting is what is called EMF (electromagnetic feedback) this thing is obviously imported as its not up to Australian standards.

The ferrite actually could be a way of solving it as if one of the ends of the cable doesn't have the correct termination (by that its actually the correct resistance) you'll start having stray waves going here and there (this is very critical in communication systems).

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
What your getting is what is called EMF (electromagnetic feedback) this thing is obviously imported as its not up to Australian standards.

The ferrite actually could be a way of solving it as if one of the ends of the cable doesn't have the correct termination (by that its actually the correct resistance) you'll start having stray waves going here and there (this is very critical in communication systems).

thats the one... emf, rfi.. too many acronyms!

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Ah ha!!! Your problem is that earth pin, I would put my money on it.

vztrt, you sound like your in communications? Not sure your answer was correct in regards to the power supply. EMF normally stands for ElectroMagnetic Field too in the electronics business, although I am aware of electromagnetic feedback, which is heavily tied in with the communications side of things.

OK, back to the problem. You dont need a new power supply or spend a lot of money. Your problem is the earth pin on your plug. Solution to fix your problems will cost you about $5, or maybe even free depending which option you choose.

I will sit down at work today and detail your options when I have a bit more time.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
OK. It sounds as if you know about the earth pin and which pin it is. There are a couple of options but I will list the two that are cheapest and easiest and will solve your problem. The manufacturer has included an earth pin. Why would they do this? Usually it is a requirement for safety. In the event of a fault, the earth pin will short the equipment out and blow a fuse or trip the breaker which may save your life. You might then wonder why some equipment doesn’t have this earth pin. In this case the equipment is regarded as double insulated. It should not have any exposed metal parts. Your power supply, does it have labeled on it anywhere:

The words “Class two” or a small picture of a square inside a square

It probably doesn’t, but let us know.

I will put my disclaimer in here to cover myself and say that you should never alter electrical equipment unless you are fully aware of what you are doing, why you are doing it and what the potential risks are. Anything that you do is your responsibility. I am going to list a procedure that will hopefully fix your problem. I am not directing you to do it and if you choose to do it you acknowledge that you understand what you are doing and are taking full responsibility.

Before doing anything. Your power supply – Is it all plastic? It should be. If not stop now. If it is a normal plastic case, and you cannot see any exposed metal read on.

Your first option is to purchase a travel adaptor. I don’t know what these things sell for, but I would imagine a couple of dollars at a cheapie shop. What these will normally do is loose the earth pin. You have to make sure that it has an Australian plug in and out and the earth pin is not passed through. This may not be easy to find.

Your best option and my preferred choice would be to grab a hacksaw or chunky pair of wire cutters and cut the earth pin off. Take a file and file it down level with the plug. Make sure that you cut only the earth pin (make sure you know exactly which pin is earth), don’t damage the other pins and don’t damage the mains cable.

This gets rid of the earth, costs nothing and will hopefully solve your problem. Let me know if you are after any more info or want anything clarified. I don’t recommend this for anything other than a fully plastic power supply used for laptops.

I have heard of this before and heard stories about people who have problems with their laptops, purchase a new laptop only to have the same problem.

Actually I just did a bit of searching around Google and found this:

Why am I getting power supply interference?

Same problem as you have described and looks like they use the same fix. There is a bit of crap in there, so dont take everything they say as fact.

Let me know how it goes.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
No 'Class 2' or little square diagram. No external metal either, just looks like your normal plastic laptop power cord. I know enough about electrics to know you can hurt yourself doing stupid stuff, don't worry about any more disclaimers unless you want to put them in for other people who might read the thread, unlikely as that is!

Thanks for your help, maybe I'll get brave enough to cut that earth pin off. Seems more practical than an adapter. So.. nothing bad will happen to the supply without that earth, it'll still function perfectly normally? I'm guessing it's only there as a precaution, i.e. doing nothing but as soon as you fry yourself by maybe sticking a knife in the power supply it kicks in and grounds everything? So because I'm never going to fry myself with my power supply I'll never need to worry about that particular annoyingly noisy precaution so the earth pin can go :)

btw sounds dumb but I just have to double check, the earth pin is the long one at the bottom right?

/ \
.|

Sam

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
hmm, this is from the dude who had the same problem on that other forum...
Just letting you know that I have now fixed the problem!, I just bought a new laptop power pack (one of the generic ones without an earth and the option to change rates and connection plugs etc....), and it works a treat. After all the other options this is what worked for me, although admittedly I didn't try removing the earth pin. But the new pack doesn't have one so that's that problem solved, and it runs noticeably cooler too. So yeah, if you are a bit hesitant about removing the earth (I seem to get mixed messages about the safety), just get a earth-less new laptop power pack. Not that expensive. I think mine is a 6A rating, hence the coolness.

Any merit in what he said about it running hot? I don't understand why some get hell hot and some don't. Not that it matters but just out of interest, would mine possibly change operating temperature by removing that pin? I'm 99% sure you'll say no.

Sam

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Quick replies mate. Yeah, as mentioned earth is only there as a backup safety feature. It shouldnt be used for operation in any way. Earth is usually the longest and is down the bottom. When you said you knew which pin was the earth pin I assumed you knew a bit, disclaimer is just in there incase anyone else is reading and wants to give this a go. Power supply wont run any cooler. Its the design that will ultimatly decided how hot a power supply will run. Some components in the power supply work hard, they get hot. Cheaper power supplies will usually have smaller heatsinks to save $, but the smaller heatsink will run hotter. Cheaper power supplies also use a single part to do the work where a better designed but more expensive power supply will use mulitple parts working together to reduce the work load and share the heat - Two power supplies may produce the same amount of heat, but where one has it concentrated the other may spread it around a lot more. Unfortunatly, as you guessed, has nothing to do with the earth.

In the post that guy mentions that his power supply is rated for 6A. If his laptop is only using 3A its really only working 1/2 capacity and will run a lot cooler. Downside is the cost. If you are concerned about the heat, keep an eye on the power supply. Just feel with your hand every now and again and if it runs fairly hot for a lot of the time I would be thinking about replacing it. Just because it does present a bit of a fire risk running too hot and its lifespan will be reduced because of the temperature that it is running at anyway.

And yes, as long as you never go sticking anything into the power supply while it is turned on (hope thats a given) there shouldnt be any need for the earth. If you ever drop it and break it so that the case does not protect the guts, throw it out too. That should apply regardless of if it was earthed or not.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Yep common sense really on that last bit.

None of the power supplies in the house run particularly hot, I was just curious. Thanks heaps for your help mate I'm off to rip that pin out now.

Sam