Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getrag 290 gearbox on VS and VT 5.0l

prolepsis

Reaction score
Members Ride
GM
Hi,

I'm curious to know the general opinion of the Getrag 290 5 speed manual gearbox that came on the VS to VT 5.0l v8's. Is this a good reliable box? I had a really quick phone chat with a conversions fella who said that it is crap but that is the first time I have heard that. They're not cheap to buy.

And another beginner question, are the bolt patterns for transmissions on the blocks for the v6's and 5.0l v8's the same? I would have thought that they are identical, they have the same 4L60E auto box right? That same fella said that the bolt pattern is different ... I thought that there was a standard bolt pattern on those blocks. Did the bolt pattern change on the LS1s?

Thanks and sorry for the newby questions, but I've got to start somewhere.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Hey Prolepsis

I am looking into this too. The biggest issue I have seen with these boxes is the duel mass flywheel that came from the factory. They are expensive and can't be machined. From what I have seen the boxes are quite good given that they are in good nick, but I wouldn't go putting a heap of power through it (If you start doing serious mods a t 56 would be better). Also from ads on ebay the V8 and V6 boxes are different.

My plan is to get a kit from ebay and also get a new clutch and a aftermarket machinable flywheel, this way it will be far cheaper to maintain down the road.

hope this helps

keza87

JCCC NSW Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY/VZ Wagon LS1
Yes the bolt patterns are different between V6 and V8. An auto V8 box will not fit a V6 and vice versa.

You could go with the T5 box that was in ~VN-VS S1 but they have a cable clutch.

I have the Getrag 260 in my wagon and have converted the flywheel to a solid unit and will not go back.
People do say they cannot handle much power but I haven't had any issues with mine with a supercharger.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Yes the bolt patterns are different between V6 and V8. An auto V8 box will not fit a V6 and vice versa.

You could go with the T5 box that was in ~VN-VS S1 but they have a cable clutch.

I have the Getrag 260 in my wagon and have converted the flywheel to a solid unit and will not go back.
People do say they cannot handle much power but I haven't had any issues with mine with a supercharger.

Everytime I call a wrecker they tell me a t5 will not fit a commodore that came with a getrag, is this true?