Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting 120 Learner Hours

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
When my bro got his learners I waited until he had 50 hours until I went for my full license lol

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
My youngest has had his Learners Permit for 10 months now and he has clocked over 250 hours. When I got my Learners Permit 21 years ago (in Tasmania) I went to the local cop shop and said "I want my learners" The local copper said "what are the road rules" So i told him, paid $20 and had my L's.........1 year later same thing for my P's Copper says so what have you learnt in the last 12 months. I told Him paid $20 and got my Provisional. Stayed on my provisional for 1 year and have been fully licenced since. Not once have I lost my licence, I have never gon over the BAC and in 21 years I have had 1 speeding ticket. The difference is I have been driving on farms and logging roads and fire breaks since I was about 11 and once i got my L's it was just a matter of putting it all into practice. (The other thing to note is that on L's and P's in tassie 21 years ago the maximum speed limit was 80km/h....110km/h if fully licenced. Times have changed and not for the better so for my young bloke its come on we are going for a drive. As far as I am concerned the hours should be more like 200 hours.

I also believe the testing should be made a lot lot harder for both l's and P's. Having a licence is a privelidge not a right.......Make it 200 hundred hours restrict the speed to 80km/h, give them no demerit points (any mistake is loss of licence) and please please please must be able to read write and speak english.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
My youngest has had his Learners Permit for 10 months now and he has clocked over 250 hours. When I got my Learners Permit 21 years ago (in Tasmania) I went to the local cop shop and said "I want my learners" The local copper said "what are the road rules" So i told him, paid $20 and had my L's.........1 year later same thing for my P's Copper says so what have you learnt in the last 12 months. I told Him paid $20 and got my Provisional. Stayed on my provisional for 1 year and have been fully licenced since. Not once have I lost my licence, I have never gon over the BAC and in 21 years I have had 1 speeding ticket. The difference is I have been driving on farms and logging roads and fire breaks since I was about 11 and once i got my L's it was just a matter of putting it all into practice. (The other thing to note is that on L's and P's in tassie 21 years ago the maximum speed limit was 80km/h....110km/h if fully licenced. Times have changed and not for the better so for my young bloke its come on we are going for a drive. As far as I am concerned the hours should be more like 200 hours.

I also believe the testing should be made a lot lot harder for both l's and P's. Having a licence is a privelidge not a right.......Make it 200 hundred hours restrict the speed to 80km/h, give them no demerit points (any mistake is loss of licence) and please please please must be able to read write and speak english.

agree completely except for the 80kph.
alot of the roads around me are 100+. and are single lane each way.
there is pretty much a 30kph gap in speed between 2 cars.
if car behind at 110 aint paying attention it can cause mass chaos. with a rear ender.

i dont know about you but have you ever been stuck in a que of 10-25 cars because person #1 up front cannot get up to speed/wont go up to speed and people cannot go around because of the road design

speed should not be restricted. as it in itself can cause more danger.
it should be up to the driver to judge what speed they should be at and what the conditions are.

by restricting it will cause many more problems and will make more people impatient. causing more anger aswell.
back then it may have worked well. as people werent so impatient/morons. but today its all about "me me me" and "im in a rush"

otherwise totally agree with the more hours part. the more experience the better.

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
when I got my license it was 50 hours and that was painfull enough to get.

Thought it was annoying how all the princesses got daddy to write up 50 hours and got their licenses within 6 months, then totalled the "cute" car daddy got them.

All of the in-crowd I went to school with got their hours falsified, at football prac had a mates mother offer to write mine up as I 'needed' my license.

She actually ended up putting down 40 hours for my license and then the funny thing was I couldnt afford the outrageous cost for my driving exam, so I ended up getting a mate of mine who was 24 to get in my car with me while I drove around and I ended up doing about hours with him.

So there you have it people im pretty much a self taught driver... yet I drive safely?, i've never had a collision that was my fault and I am one of the first people that would tell you that the government should FORCING everyone, EVERYONE to get their license, and that driving should be taught at school.

The system is still too easy to wrought and too many people get passed who have no clue and somehow survive their P plates.

God help us all.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
It looks better at test time because it shows your confident and you do want your license if you do the set amount and leave it that it shows that you want your license but you dont want to go that bit extra to show that 100% confident

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Why do people write down more than the compulsory hours you need to? My log book had 50 hours logged and after that it sat at home till I could go for my P's. Does the RTA give you gold stars and bonus points or what?

because if you get to the front counter, and they see "oh this 5 minute drive wasnt filled out correct. better deduct that. oh you only have 49 hrs 55 minutes (or 119 55 now) logged. sorry, when would you like to rebook that for?"

i had about 45mins knocked off, because 1. forgot a signature, and 2. another time it was a bit messy.
some say "they just flick through it" which isnt true. the lady doing my test actually had a reasonable look at every single page.
so having that extra 30hrs logged in my case ment it was still fine to go do the test.

sik_dose

Hybrids. Cars for fools.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais Turbo, VZ SV6
I took me a full year to do the 120 hours (2008) All the practice made me so confident I thought I could drive like the Stig, im now disqualified.

SEN220

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
i drove my mum and sister around everywhere for the first six months got 50 hours but then mum lost her license for dd and still got me to drive around

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
i drove my mum and sister around everywhere for the first six months got 50 hours but then mum lost her license for dd and still got me to drive around

Uhhhh, ok!