Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting a different exhaust note?

Vees

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Storm Ute

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
do u have the rear muffler still? if so it could be why urs sounds muffled compared to theirs. the extractors may play a little part tho saying that I got HM headers on mine and it sounds the same as theirs.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Well that all depends on what u have...what exactly did $1200 get u?

If u read his comments, he has extractors and a redback system without a rear resonator

Vees

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Storm Ute
do u have the rear muffler still? if so it could be why urs sounds muffled compared to theirs. the extractors may play a little part tho saying that I got HM headers on mine and it sounds the same as theirs.
If you mean the resonator then nope I don't have it.

Well that all depends on what u have...what exactly did $1200 get u?

If u read his comments, he has extractors and a redback system without a rear resonator
Came with a metal stainless steel cat converter, sports system, stainless tip and pacemaker extractors. I'm guessing I should of went for the redback system to get that note?

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well redback isnt exactly a high quality exhaust system. Im guessing ur system is 2.5"? I honestly couldnt really tell too much of a difference between the 2 videos u posted. If anything i thought urs was the better sounding of the 2

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
Do not buy a Redback or Xforce catback system from DEA Performance online. You'll get sent a no-name copy of an Xforce...

Redback and Xforce are "ok" but there are better ways to go. And some sellers advertising Redback or Xforce, don't actually stock them and just send you some generic cheap unbranded knockoff. It pays to really do your homework before you buy an exhaust, otherwise it ultimately lets you down.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
If you mean the resonator then nope I don't have it.

Came with a metal stainless steel cat converter, sports system, stainless tip and pacemaker extractors. I'm guessing I should of went for the redback system to get that note?

yep that's the one same thing, is the cat convertor u got just a stock one or a high flow one?

Well redback isnt exactly a high quality exhaust system. Im guessing ur system is 2.5"? I honestly couldnt really tell too much of a difference between the 2 videos u posted. If anything i thought urs was the better sounding of the 2

u can u can hear the muffle sounds down low hes talking about but the quality of both vids in sound is probably a bit hard to compare (one HD and the others not). The reds cars exhaust did sound much tighter and smoother I thought much like mine.

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
A sedan and ute exhaust systems are different lengths from memory might pay to visit a muffler shop and ask what can be done to achieve your "note" you want . Could be a simple muffler swap in the system

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
u can u can hear the muffle sounds down low hes talking about but the quality of both vids in sound is probably a bit hard to compare (one HD and the others not). The reds cars exhaust did sound much tighter and smoother I thought much like mine.

yeah i just watched it on my comp instead of my mobile (ive had that problem before lol) the red sedan sounds alot more throaty and the ute sounds tinny.

maybe give the exhaust a few weeks to settle in, it may change note slightly.

vees, what brand is ur exhaust? or is it just ur local exhaust shops 'sports exhaust'? pacemakers are a good extractor, but u need to find out what muffler u have.

Vees

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Storm Ute
yep that's the one same thing, is the cat convertor u got just a stock one or a high flow one?

I asked for the best stuff, pretty sure it is a high flow one. It cost me $350. Yeah mine seems to muffle at about 3-4rpm, sometimes on the high revs. It's weird it depends how much acceleration I give it and when. If it's off a stop light it'll sound ok, but going from 60 to 100 it sounds kinda muffled.

yeah i just watched it on my comp instead of my mobile (ive had that problem before lol) the red sedan sounds alot more throaty and the ute sounds tinny.

maybe give the exhaust a few weeks to settle in, it may change note slightly.

vees, what brand is ur exhaust? or is it just ur local exhaust shops 'sports exhaust'? pacemakers are a good extractor, but u need to find out what muffler u have.
I've had this for over a year now actually. As for my brand I am pretty sure it is an XForce sports exhaust. I'm thinking if I'm going to go get it checked out I'd go to another exhaust shop. Looking into visiting Performance Exhaust Centre.

On another note, a few things to take into consideration. When I went for a dyno run recently, apparently my exhaust tip doesn't sit in properly. That might be how the back bumper is shaped but there is a bit of a small gap between the exhaust pipe and tip. Also the extractors I ordered, apparently the guy who was delivering them to the shop got into an accident a day before I was going to get them installed. I also noticed when I got home the extractors were scratched on the outside, didn't worry to much because they work fine. I don't know if I paid for used or new ones, he never said what type they are so I just rolled with it. Also he offered me to leave the car at the shop to install the extractors, something along the lines of a cold engine makes it easier to install. They guy seems pretty popular and has daily videos of all sorts of cars getting exhausts installed but I can't help but kinda feel stuffed over, something about him. Or maybe it's just me.