Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting a V8 or Sv6?

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Hi Guys,

The wife said I can get a car for my 30th, which is next year, but me being me, I went looking at cars now, and I found some that I like already :(

Opinions, comments, ideas... open to anything... I had a Black VY 2002 V6 a few years ago, with an SS kit, loved it, but sold it when I got married, and I think my wife has seen me sad for long enough that she said I can get myself something next year... LOL!

Now I don't have a huge budget, not the same as what I would have next year, but the ones I found are:

1) 2004 Auto Impluse Blue VZ Sv6, amazing condition, inside and out. 109,000kms, 4 months NSW rego ($10,500)
  • 190KW with growler intake air box
  • MAFLESS tuned
  • NEW X FORCE 2.5 exhaust system to after market headers.Unbelievable note!
  • NEW 18" matt black/chrome wheels with new tyres. (Unused original spare tyre and wheel.)
  • NEW projector headlights and DRL's combination
  • NEW LED tailights, indicators, brake lights etc
  • NEW strut tower brace
  • NEW rear camber kit
  • Hayman Reese Towbar and tongue
  • NEW brakes with front and rear slotted discs
  • Professionally lowered by Pedders
  • Windows tinted
  • Boot immaculate with boot protector
  • Engine bay extremely clean
  • Perfect blue/black interior with extra dash gauges and chrome interior door handles and chrome shift stick, cd player with USB. (Can supply current RM Williams dirt catcher floor mats to fronts)
  • Perfect Leather steering wheel (with protector cover). (CD controls not activated on steering wheel.)
  • Remote fob auto car start after 3 button pushs from 30 metres away. (Needs time on adjusted. Have spare kit.)

2) 2002 Auto White VY SS. 212,000kms, 1 year NSW rego ($8,500)

2002 VY SS v8 5.7 auto ls1 abit about the car ... Auto box rebuild, lowered on pedders touring springs, pcp 4 into 1 extractors, 200 cell hi flow cats, duel 2 into 1 exhaust into diff its got the real v8 grunt with the sound to go with it ...i also have the standard exhaust can put back on for the buyer .. 20inch AME pridors with brand new tyres white and blue walls, new oil press sensor

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
SV6 - meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

When I was shopping I looked at one, ended up with a Clubsport - love that V8!!

However 212, 000k's is quite a lot - keep shopping imo.

Have you driven both cars?

The SV6 you've put up sounds like a great example and the SS well, it has too many k's etc etc.

The way you've listed each car to me says you have your heart set on the SV6 too - just sayin'

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Thanks for the reply mate, nah I haven't got my heart set on the Sv6, it just looks nice...

The info is from the ads on the net, just copied and pasted it. The info was well details for the Sv6, but the V8 was just a block of text.

I haven't driven either yet, which I think I should. I have read tonnes of info saying the ecotec is a more reliable engine than the alloytec, which is good.

I love the sound of a v8 and really want one... but the Sv6 looks really good too and has a decent amount of work done to it also.

I think I'd lead towards the V8 because I just want one... lol... but yeah, the kms are high... what range should I be looking at?

As for a V8, should I stick, to the VYs, or is the VZ V8 engine pretty reliable? I guess I could even go VXII, but I do love the VY look...

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
keep looking, eventually youll find exactly what you want.
sounds like you want a v8, you have plenty of time to find whats exactly right.

dont impulse buy, youll be disappointed.

for example ive been looking at some cars and still havent found one thats exactly right, and thats been over 12 months of searching. Dont want to settle for 2nd best only to see what you want come along and be spitting chips

goodluck

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
keep looking, eventually youll find exactly what you want.
sounds like you want a v8, you have plenty of time to find whats exactly right.

dont impulse buy, youll be disappointed.

for example ive been looking at some cars and still havent found one thats exactly right, and thats been over 12 months of searching. Dont want to settle for 2nd best only to see what you want come along and be spitting chips

goodluck

Good point mate... thanks for that... since I'm getting it for my 30th, then I have about 14 months... but its so hard to keep waiting when I see so many awesome V8s I want... lol... but you are right... got to wait for the right one... when I see it, I'll know... and that hasn't happened yet... :)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
If you want primo examples the 1000k's per year isn't a bad one (says me and I have a Clubsport with 170 on it from '02) but I bought it @ 130. My Monaro from the same year has 120 and tbh all round it's a better car - less general wear and you can tell it's had an easier life. Buy someone's old weekender - and if they say it's a weekender and it has 250 000k's it wasn't always one!

Unmolested is a good idea as you can do your own mods and you'll still have all the original equipment.

I too went to a V8 because I know that later in life I might not be able to and now I can say I've done it - I don't want to live with the should have when I could have regret. I can say I owned a Monaro and it's been awesome, not I wish I bought a Monaro :) btw they are in the 20k range now, sooooo how's the budget looking? :D

this is my baby, only cost $20k - I'm in looooove

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/members/mpower-albums-monaro-pics-picture154817-img-8628.html

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/members/mpower-albums-monaro-pics-picture154932-img-8599.html

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
If you want primo examples the 1000k's per year isn't a bad one (says me and I have a Clubsport with 170 on it from '02) but I bought it @ 130. My Monaro from the same year has 120 and tbh all round it's a better car - less general wear and you can tell it's had an easier life. Buy someone's old weekender - and if they say it's a weekender and it has 250 000k's it wasn't always one!

Unmolested is a good idea as you can do your own mods and you'll still have all the original equipment.

I too went to a V8 because I know that later in life I might not be able to and now I can say I've done it - I don't want to live with the should have when I could have regret. I can say I owned a Monaro and it's been awesome, not I wish I bought a Monaro :) btw they are in the 20k range now, sooooo how's the budget looking? :D

this is my baby, only cost $20k - I'm in looooove

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/members/mpower-albums-monaro-pics-picture154817-img-8628.html

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/members/mpower-albums-monaro-pics-picture154932-img-8599.html

Sorry, just got to pick my jaw off the floor... lol... damn that is an awesome Monaro...

If I can save another 10-12 k this year, then I should be able to afford a monaro, but right now, I have about 10k I can play with... need more money, or to win the lotto... lol...

I think if I had a V8 Monaro, that would be it, that would be the car I'd die with. Lol! Don't know how practical a 2 door sports car will be with a baby, but I guess I could make it work. Lol!

So I guess my choices now are a VY SS or a Monaro. Well thanks, more incentive for me to save more money and get something epic.

Will try to find the lower kms cars too, which is why I liked the Sv6, such low Kms, and yeah the V8 had too high kms... so will have to keep looking.

Thanks mate, and once again, awesome car... I'm gonna look at more Monaros now... :)

AlexVSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Holden VS Commodore S, 3.8 n/a
If I had 10 grand to play with the only 6 cylinder I'd even look at is a supercharged 6. Even then as good as they are, it's no V8.

Same as personally, I'd be looking for a Calais or Statesman/Caprice, it may be a bit more money but you get a much nicer and more comfortable car.

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
If I had 10 grand to play with the only 6 cylinder I'd even look at is a supercharged 6. Even then as good as they are, it's no V8.

Same as personally, I'd be looking for a Calais or Statesman/Caprice, it may be a bit more money but you get a much nicer and more comfortable car.

Thats so true mate, I was looking at the Sv6, which is supercharged, so that is 195kw on the VZ, but thought to myself for the same price, maybe even a couple of grand more, I could get a V8 with 225kw, and way more bolt ons for it... so V8 is the way to go...

True about the Calais and statesman/caprice, they have the power, and the size/luxury, but I don't think I do long enough drives that for that pay for itself, and I think my wife might try to learnt to drive sometime, so cars of that size might be too big for her...

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
I think this comes down to where and when you'll be driving. If you're gunna use it daily and you live in a capital city, the V8 will syphon every penny from your wallet, go for the V6. If you live country or won't use it much during the week, go V8.

Sure V8's are great, but in bad stop and start traffic in Brissy I get 16-19L/hundred in my V8, on the highway I get 10.3.

For this reason I ride a postie bike mon-fri........