Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting door open when lock is stuffed

Alspos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 Sedan
Hi, have an issue with Drivers front door on a VXII wagon, door button does not fully go up when remote is pressed and I can't open the door from the inside or outside. At the moment I'm climbing in from the passenger side. Any thoughts on how I can get into the door to fix? Or how to open the door? Can I get the trim off with the door closed? Any tips on not totally destroying the door trim, I will hate to use a holesaw to get inside the door to fix this bl**dy thing. I've searched, nothing seems to relate to opening the door, just getting trims off etc once the door is open

Thanks

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
Probably a stupid question but have you tried to pull the lock up by hand? of not are you able to get the red tab out of the lock so the knob comes off and maybe get something and wrench the lock open through that opening?

Alspos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 Sedan
I did manage to get it open. Tried pulling up the lock as you mentioned, wouldn't budge any further than half way and wouldn't unlock. Red tab wasn't exposed.

Anyway, I tried to use the key to unlock it, wouldn't budge at first (as I didn't want to snap the key off or break something else) I pushed the lock up slightly as it wasn't aligned in the hole in the handle and it opened. Turned the key a couple of times each way and found that turn it clockwise, open door, turn key back to vertical and I couldn't get the key out, turned further and back to vertical and I could. Same the other way, anti CW to lock, CW to vertical and then a bit more to remove the key. It seems the barrel inside may be spinning slightly and causing the issue. I think someone may have tried to pinch the car, they've upset the lock and caused the problem. When I get more time I think I'll pull the trims and see if the barrel is turning etc.

karthik2588

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore
Mate i have the same kinda trouble in my car. when my car windows are half lowered the lock doesnt go up! but if i lower them completely it can unlock! also whenever i lowere my front driver windows the door unlocks itselfs. so i gotto make sure the car lock is lowered when i drive mycar!

airforceone

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais superc6
i think a big prob with all our cars is the key lock never gets used because of central locking when u try use it its still in hibernation from never being used

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
I would take off your door trim while you can still unlock it or you may end up having to cut your trim

senatorjohn

Reaction score
Members Ride
wk statesman
Had same problem with WK Statesman left hand rear. If your actuators are the same, this technique may work on the front door. Pull up as hard as possible on door button hopefully exposing red tab, jam flat blade of screwdriver between tab and button and pull up harder. Operate inside door handle and door may open as mine did. Tried forums for about three months searching for information and found none. Decided one day that door was going to opened or something was going to break. Possibly lucky the door opened. I regularly access Autofix.com.au. ,so if you need more info, I might be easier to contact on that site.

Senatorjohn

holdenman84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim series II wagon 2002
I have a VX acclaim series II 02 wagon and i have the same problem with my passenger side front door. i have to lock and unlock it manually at times because it is buggerd and doesnt want to work. my driver side rear electric window button doesnt work on the door or in the console so that window is permently up and my passenger rear window will go down but not up by the button on the door lol. is this a common thing for the VX's lol

topdzl

Reaction score
Website
www.aghaith.com
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7
I had that on my commodore vt, passenger side and now on the driver side. I fixed the passenger side earlier and I'm gonna do the same to the other side, it's pretty easy thing to do.

Just take the door trim off and use some nice lubricant on the steel shaft after cleaning any dust on it - i used lithium grease - and then lock and unlock it for few times, put the door trim back on and it worked for me perfectly. Takes you about 10 minutes to do that.

I hope that would fix the problem mates.