Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting my Sons Driver Hours up

Status
Not open for further replies.

me&myVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I'd like to point out my son does have a job hence why he would like me to help him get his hours up so he can drive himself to work. He has been working since he was 14 and has saved quite a few thousand dollars and I chipped in the rest to buy him the Cruze.... I was more then happy to pay for his lessons and did pay for 10 of them. He has been constantly been asking my wife and I to take him out and I'm just to scared after the Lexus vs Letterbox incident. So it's our fault he hasn't got his hours up. I would rather My son learn to drive in a newer safer car for both of our safety!!

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
bad move buying your son a new or near new car.... but I think everyone else has already covered that, so no point dwelling

best thing you can do is for you to get behind the wheel and drive your son out to a location where there isn't any traffic and not much to hit. Then swap seats and start teaching him the basics. Once he builds up some confidence in the basics, then start taking him into more populated areas until his confidence builds. By that stage, he should be capable of driving in some traffic.

Best way to get his hours up, is to get him to drive whenever you need to go somewhere. Take him in the traffic and the highways and you'll be surprised how quickly the hours add up

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
my old man was like. your either driving *throws me keys* or you can walk...
you can understand what option i took. might be something to consider
1st drive, on my bday with the L's as i live sorta outta town was on deserted roads, was great fun and 15mins straight up =P

got over 140hrs logged in 6 months.
next 18 months then sucked, but no logbook to fill out =P (2 yrs L's vic)
(also got P's on bday aswell =P)

tbh the only way to drive is get experience.
if you get nervous/hate others driving, find someonelse who will take them (say grandad/ma aunt/uncle)
everyone makes mistakes. but still a brand new car to learn in is a bad idea in my opinion.
tbh a small car such as an old rolla in my opinion is a great choice. its the first manual i learnt in, easy to park, had no get up and go, and runs on the smell of a rag.
oh and its a cheap car to buy. insure and everything else.

me&myVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Once again I just wanted a safe car to teach my son in. I live in an area that you have to travel quite a distance down the highway to get to anywhere so a newer safer car in my opinion is the way to go. Id rather it get scratched then my Commodore or my Wife's Lexus but Im positive that, that won't happen and everything is going to go great. Now I've explained the situation can we get back to the original question of what / how to teach my son?
Thanks Greg

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
I'd like to point out my son does have a job hence why he would like me to help him get his hours up so he can drive himself to work. He has been working since he was 14 and has saved quite a few thousand dollars and I chipped in the rest to buy him the Cruze.... I was more then happy to pay for his lessons and did pay for 10 of them. He has been constantly been asking my wife and I to take him out and I'm just to scared after the Lexus vs Letterbox incident. So it's our fault he hasn't got his hours up. I would rather My son learn to drive in a newer safer car for both of our safety!!

Well toss him in for some more driving lessons until you are comfortable driving with him...

One thing I forgot to add in also, dont just sit there and tell him what to do, get in the drivers seat and demonstrate, he can then relate to how it was done, and will take more in..

VT_SS

-
Reaction score
Members Ride
EVIL304
If your scared to be in the car with your son he is going to pick up on that and it will show in his confidence in controling the vehicle have some confidence in him.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Well toss him in for some more driving lessons until you are comfortable driving with him...

One thing I forgot to add in also, dont just sit there and tell him what to do, get in the drivers seat and demonstrate, he can then relate to how it was done, and will take more in..

totally agree by lead by example.
also a comfortable driving position is great. from my reading/experiences having it so you can push clutch pedal (imagine there is one if there isnt) in with a bit of knee flex left and at full arm stretch your wrist sits on top of steering wheel.
dont let him lounge back too much like the "typical p plater" does.
and dont let him sit waaaay to cloose so your driving with your chin, neither are good practice, and cause issues.

also the worst thing you can do is "freak out" or yell or whatever.
it scares them and makes more tension = more mistakes = more yelling etc.
some occasional advice such as "maybe you should be a bit further back" or other helpful advice is great.

also turn the radio/other distractions off. (until you are comfortable with the driving)
such as phones/gps's and everything.
the less to be distracted by the better.

my old man was like this (except radio because it didnt do anything for me) and it was great.
he sat back and if he could see something coming up that i couldnt see, or any small advice, he would give it to me and let me know.

me&myVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
As for the lessons Brendan dosen't like his instructor and want's me to teach him to drive. Im more then happy to do so, but for any parent's particularly when hes our 'Only Child' it's bloody scary!! He's the most important thing we have and I couldn't give two ****'s about spending a few extra $ that in turn if things turned to **** would save his life. Im going to be full of confidence when we head out on the weekend and I just wanted a few pointers before we set off, not a debate as to what car I should have got him!

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Parent's teaching kid's is a bad idea. Can lead to so many dramas. I would find him a new instructor.

Status
Not open for further replies.