Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting ripped off

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
Hi all

I've been told my VN wagon needs a new brake master cylinder, power steering pump, steering rack, power steering hoses, etc and was quoted $2500.

This is obviously b$#%%@t and I'm hoping someone out there knows a decent mechanic around Melbourne or can do the steering stuff for me (i'll supply reco parts & assist in labour, payment in cash or beer or whatever, I'm not totally confident of stuffing around with steering components on my own yet)

Thanks in advance

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
dude, steering racks probbly fine, power steering pump... maybe actually dead but if it aint broke dont fix it :)...

i got my power steering pump/hose done for $150 (i think)

steering rack, tell them to stick it up their ass, they'll probbly say its "leaking"
its a common trick to get more money out of people

take it to another mechanic... what area of melbourne are you???? take it to 2-3 other places and get their opinions... my girlfriends brothers pulsar has a cracked head... he had a workshop tell him they took the head off and he needs a full rebuild...

i got there and checked it out.. head hadnt been removed.. they jsut removed the spark plugs...

i once had a mechanic tell me the detonation sensor in a 3.8 was in the intake manifold and it was going to cost $600 to replace...

i pointed to the detonation sensor in the engine bay and said.. you mean that?? told them the part was worth $50 and asked if the $550 labour included toilet brakes, lunch brakes, ciggy brakes... never been to a mechanic since.. vowed to do everything my self..

to be honost i dont know everything but i can sure as hell do a better job than they did.......

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
Since I got charged $450 to change a fuel pump in my VN I decided that I'd never go near a mechanic again. Since that day I've done all the work myself. Haven't had to do the steering rack/pump yet though so I can't help you out.

Get yourself a Gregory's manual, a full toolbox, a fridge full of beer, and a couple of mates who have a spare weekend. The only way you're going to become confident with mucking around with that stuff, is by doing it yourself. All you've gotta do is bolt all the new stuff in then get it to your nearest tyre shop for a wheel alignment.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
if you can bleed the brakes or get a mate to bleed them you could do all the work yourself.
the steering is easy no trouble bleeding it it does it itself.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Steering's very messy though. Brakes are easy to do..

But yeah, get a second opinion on all that first. Mechanics often say things are "BROKEN" and need replacing, it's often bullshit..

Where abouts in Melbourne are you?

AussieHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2006
1st steering racks do fail and leak so you need to look at you rack and look for the signs of leaks if none then it's fine. power steer pump common for these to leak from the tank seal and pully seal just needs new seals.

Worse case is getting both reco'd but still easy but messy to do all yourself only way we all learn is by giving it ago nd asking for advice and help.

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
My power steering has been leaking on & off for years... Just go over the power steering lines and make sure that the clamps are tight as with age & heat your hoses can leak cause they need tightening up simple as that.

Also a bottle of Nulon power steering treatment always fixes up the problem for a year or so.then its time for another bottle .. hehehe

And for what you were quoted you could buy another Vn for that price HAHAHAHA

Go to pedders near you and make out you know alot about cars etc...say you took to other bloke and he said $2500 and you said for lunch and ciggies and bit of work haha .. get a laugh out of the bloke as i would be laughing at that.

Just say you use to be a mechanic but quit cause of bad back or some **** hehe and see what you get quoted,

also I always get a 2nd or 3rd quote before handing over $$$$$

Last edited:

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
I have a trustworthy mechanic.Rocvic auto repairs in Tullamarine 93352407.Tell Charlie or his son Rocky Adam sent you and you should be right.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i did my power steering pump a while ago and it took about 15 mins.. very easy to do.. i think the hardest bit was getting one of the hoses off. it was very tights and i was using a crap spanner.. most things on a vn are pretty easy to do. if it is a v6 you are laughing. it is an engine bay designed to fit a v8 in yet has a v6, so there is any amount of room to do anything.