Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gimme a prediction!

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Ok well my goal is to save a minimum of $10,000 a year for the next three years.

I want to get a commodore no earlier than a VX, but I want a manual V8 wagon.

If I can get ahold of a VY SS manual wagon for the right price, it's a done thing. Only problem is, I'm sure most people are going to want to hang onto their precious SS wagons being as they are rare and obviously special.

This is all assuming that petrol prices don't skyrocket and we still have petrol driven engines in that time period. Let's pretend that we live in a happy world with plenty of oil ;).

Anyway, assuming that I can't get ahold of a VY SS wagon, I've considered the following options:

Grab a VX Executive wagon, drop an LS1 into it with a manual gearbox. How much is it likely to set me back for the engine + driveline components?

Grab a VX, VY or VZ V8 Berlina or Calais wagon, and convert it to manual. How much is that conversion likely to cost? This is my preferred option.

I'm basically looking for the cheapest overall option. I'm thinking the cheapest option would be getting the Berlina or Calais wagon and converting it, considering in three years time I doubt too many people would be willing to sell their SS Wagons yet ;). Unless of course, Holden come out with more V8 manual wagons in that period of time *cough*yeahright*cough*

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
They never made Calais wagons champ. I would say a V8 Berlina wagon would be your best bet but they didnt make many of them either mate. Might have to join the dark side and drive an auto:w00t:
Or get the auto converted to a clutchless manual (fully manuialised auto)
AirStrike :air:

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I will never drive an auto!!! Ahahahaha!

Hmm for some reason I thought they had Calais wagons... Ahh well, it's no big deal ;). Hopefully I'll find a Berlina that someone decided they wanted leather seats in :D

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
KE Laser Ghia 1.6 Carbie M5
They made a special edition Calais Wagon with the VL...

niggle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8
also, just to really burst your bubble, SS wagons come only in Auto, you can't buy a holden wagon with a manual, not vx onwards anways, so if you want a manual wagon, you'll have to do a tranie coversion - ss, berlina or exec :cry: :b:

V

VRbeast

Not True

That's not true, one of my mates just bought a Black VY SS Wagon and it is manual. He didn't have to do any conversions to get the manual either.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Yeah, they did come in manual as well. I know this because I read the Holden website as well as listened to my dad rant and rave about it because he'd already gone and bought his VX SS 18 months earlier when Holden wouldn't make him a manual v8 stationwagon ;).

niggle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8
oh fair enough, thought i read in a street commodores mag when they reviewed the ss wagon - could have sworn they were bitching because they didn't come in a manual :hit:

my bad :b:

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I'm a genius!!

Yesterday a mate of mine at the skate park mentioned that they had this 'funny looking Holden ute' up for a raffle at Erina Fair... and I'm like "You mean the Crewman? 4 doors?"

And then I remembered!!!

When the VZ first came out I had decided that I want one! With one of the tray cover thingies... You know... Like, not a normal tonneau cover. I dunno what they're called, but they basically turn it into a station wagon.

And the best bit is, a manual Crewman SS is going to be much cheaper and easier to get than a Berlina V8 wagon (or SS wagon) and then having to need it converted to manual!

So yah, that solves this problem ;). I reckon in three years someone's gonna be able to sell me a VY2 SS Crewman for around 30 grand :D

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
The cops around my way just took possesion of a nice new Crewman with the above stated canopy....
AirStrike :air: