Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Glovebox Keys

Burnie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute/VT Sedan
OK All, so I know I'm not the smartest bloke on this forum, but how come the glove box key from from my missus VT exec also fits the glovebox of my VZ Ute. Is this coincidence or is there not a large variety of keys out there.

Thanks

ARM-SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SV6 A5
It is a coincidence, as there are quite a few combinations (can't give you the exact amount now because i'm not at work ... I'm a locksmith) .... the glovebox locks don't have that many discs inside ... if you have keys for both cars line them up, the cuts towards the tip of the key will probably be very similar.

New2Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V6
electronic glovebox lock

We live in a world of electronic gagetry, with keyless entry and keyless boot release. Why don't car manufacturers simply make gloveboxes that lock/unlock automatically when the door locks are activated. Who actually carries a glove box key around with them on their key ring and if so who actually takes the trouble to lock and unlock the glovebox. Holden have gone to the trouble of hiding the boot release button in the glovebox, surposedly for security reasons but that means you have to actually lock the glovebox to obtain the security. It would be a whole lot easier if the glovebox locked automatically. Maybe holden and other manufacturers realise that glovebox lids are fairly flimsy and provide no resistence to thieves, locked or unlocked....hey I guess I have just answered my own question.

Cheers
Alan

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
ARM-SV6 said:
It is a coincidence, as there are quite a few combinations

Not with the locks Holden use. There might be many thousand combinations technically possible, but for some reason it is extremely common that the wrong key will open a glovebox. Ask someone who works at a Holden dealership (preferably not a salesman... :rolleyes: )

ARM-SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SV6 A5
clixanup said:
Not with the locks Holden use. There might be many thousand combinations technically possible, but for some reason it is extremely common that the wrong key will open a glovebox. Ask someone who works at a Holden dealership (preferably not a salesman... :rolleyes: )

As I stated in my original post .... "the glovebox locks don't have that many discs inside" .... the glovebox lock keys have 8 or 10 cuts on them (The glovebox lock system borrowed from GM America, while the rest of the cars locks are borrowed from European GM's) and there are at least 2000 code variations for the lock type that Holden uses ... however the glovebox lock itself only uses the last 3 or 4 cuts on the key so the chances of different keys fitting is certainly possible.

BaZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
New2Holden said:
We live in a world of electronic gagetry, with keyless entry and keyless boot release. Why don't car manufacturers simply make gloveboxes that lock/unlock automatically when the door locks are activated. Who actually carries a glove box key around with them on their key ring and if so who actually takes the trouble to lock and unlock the glovebox. Holden have gone to the trouble of hiding the boot release button in the glovebox, surposedly for security reasons but that means you have to actually lock the glovebox to obtain the security. It would be a whole lot easier if the glovebox locked automatically. Maybe holden and other manufacturers realise that glovebox lids are fairly flimsy and provide no resistence to thieves, locked or unlocked....hey I guess I have just answered my own question.

Cheers
Alan
The glove box key is not designed to be carried on your normal keyring, it's intended use was times like when you have to leave the car with valet parking or something. You can lock anything personal or valuable in the glove box and take the key with you, meaning the valet parking dude cannot open the glove box with your normal keys.

I know a glove box is not a vault, but it's a deterrent none the less.

Obviously, having the glove box pop open for whoever has your main keys would defeat the purpose completely. There may as well be no lock on it at all in this case ;)

Burnie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute/VT Sedan
Ok Thanks for that. Issue came up when wife discovered that we only had one key for the VT glovebox and I installed new Kenwood headunit in VT with detachable face which we store in the (locked) glovebox. It needs about half a mil jiggle to open. Pointy end of key is similar but rest is quite differrent.

S

Sensations

If ya lock ya glove box and ya get ya car broken into there gonna know or think some

thing good in there and do more damage- Soory off the topic.

Just dont lock it. But strange co incendence