Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GM Magnetic Ride Control - Is it any good?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I find it's excellent in my Gen-F2 GTS. I previously had Commodore Cup-like suspensions in my VS Calais 383 and the same in my wife's VS Clubsport. Makes for a rough ride but well worthwhile for the twisty bits. The GTS handles particularly well and the suspension really soaks up the bumps. Mostly I use Sport mode with Performance mode for the tight bits. Haven't had to use Track mode much.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If it's the same setup as the HSV's then yes that is what I'm saying, it's more gimmick than anything as it takes more then just stiffening up the suspension to improve the vehicle's handling capabilities.

I'm not rubbishing it to the extent that I'll get into an argument with you as it has some merit but it is what it is.
No interest in arguments, just in understanding your perspectives.

My view is that effective suspension depends on more than spring rate and damming rates as bushes and geometry play a big part. To a large extent, once physical components are installed they are a fixed.

The great thing with MRC, in theory, is that the damping rates can be changed 100 times a second meaning the system is dynamic. Stiffening and softening things up at that frequency also has the effect of seemingly increasing or decreasing the spring rates and damping rates. How well MRC has actually been implemented in our Holdens is always debatable but knowing Holden not as well as they could have done (since cost is always an issue). Exposing virtual damping and spring rates to the driver would have been fantastic but no luck. GM would rather sell improved configurations to Corvette owners rather than let them fiddle on a virtual knob. Oh well.

In any case I like my MRC but I must admit I haven’t driven a Redline with improved mechanical suspension setup... if I had, I may change my mind.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I've driven and owned cars where adaptive suspension is done better and I know that is a cost thing that Holden, HSV or GM may not see as profitable compared to some of the higher end cars that have better setups.

That's the reason I see it as a gimmick more than the real deal.

If you have it in your car then great as it does add something but not compared to a well setup suspension.

My view is that effective suspension depends on more than spring rate and damming rates as bushes and geometry play a big part. To a large extent, once physical components are installed they are a fixed.

I agree with the above because on the other side of the coin I read about a lot of owners who throw coilovers on their cars which have great potential but I don't read about them having the whole suspension and subframes dropped and resprung and the geometry corrected to take advantage of the changes the coilovers bring.

Some shops do this but most just install, set the ride height to suit the client and apply a basic spring rate and damping setting.

If this is all that's done then the coilovers too are a gimmick, admittedly they offer an improvement but the potential they have to offer is left behind.

A set of coilovers will usually take a few days of testing and tuning to get right but few pay for that extra service and few shops would be capable of providing the expertise required.

But I guess the truth of the matter is, no matter what you do to your suspension much of it is for looks, bragging and a compromise for street driving, so in that case the magnetic ride is a pretty neat gimmick.

Just my thoughts.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I really like the flexibility
It certainly and significantly improves handling as you go through the 4 stages, touring to track.
Oh and it's not the same as the HSV system.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
...But I guess the truth of the matter is, no matter what you do to your suspension much of it is for looks, bragging and a compromise for street driving, so in that case the magnetic ride is a pretty neat gimmick.
Yeah, suspension is nothing but compromises and that’s where MRC should provide some real advantage. With just a software configuration change, you can swap one set of compromises for another. This I feel is a great benefit. Others may prefer the simplicity and cost effectiveness of normal shocks.

If only similar could have been done to the bushes so that compliance could be changed electrically just like the damping within the MRC shock. It’s just some materials engineering to incorporate magnetically soft particles within the rubber compound so that elasticity can be influenced by a magnetic field. The. I wouldn’t have to put up with a rear end bang when hitting a rut mid corner as things can be softened in touring :p Combined, these two could have allowed a comfortable Calais mode all the way up to a harsh performance only track mode :cool:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
... Oh and it's not the same as the HSV system.
I thought the Holden MRC was just a later version as compared to the earlier HSV but they are all much of a muchness.

Curious what is different :p

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
There are slight differences between Holden and HSV's MRC.
But they both share the same defect, virtually no aftermarket support for replacement dampers.
MRC dampers wear out at the same rate as standard dampers, but they are very expensive to replace.
If you have a long warranty, you may be able to get leaking dampers replaced individually, but if they wear out?
Probably not covered by warranty...

It may pay for HSV and LE owners to look into replacement dampers whilst they're still available.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I thought the Holden MRC was just a later version as compared to the earlier HSV but they are all much of a muchness.

Curious what is different :p
Yeah, it's the third generation of MRC, tuned specifically for the Motorsport. I seem to recall Rob Tribianni saying similiar at Lang Lang. I.e. that it was unique to the MSE too.
https://media.gm.com/dld/content/Pages/news/au/en/2017/Jan/0119_Holden_Reveals_Three_New_Limted_Edition_Commodores/_jcr_content/rightpar/sectioncontainer_0/par/download_0/file.res/MY17 Commodore Limited Editions - Product Information.pdf

Last edited:

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
But they both share the same defect, virtually no aftermarket support for replacement dampers.
MRC dampers wear out at the same rate as standard dampers, but they are very expensive to replace.
If you have a long warranty, you may be able to get leaking dampers replaced individually, but if they wear out?

It may pay for HSV and LE owners to look into replacement dampers whilst they're still available.

i agree any one owning a LE with MRC fitted, it might be a good idea to purchase a set of MRC shocks and put them away, even if you never used them, in years to come you would be able to sell them and get your money back or maybe make a profit , a mates LE has a MRC shock with a small leak but still has warranty, i think it would be a smart move to put a set away, i wonder what a set would cost from holden, not cheap i bet