Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GM Part Numbers for VF2 6L45 Filter/Gasket?

mstrjon32

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Alright, been searching for a while and having a very hard time working out the correct part number for the auto gearbox filter for the 6L45 in my 2016 VF. Is it the same as the 6L80? I've found 24252158 for the 6L80, but also have found 24236931 and 24236933. They all look about the same in the photos but I understand there might be a deep pan version and I suspect I need whatever the filter is for the normal pan.

The gasket I believe is 24224781 for all of them? But would be good to have that confirmed if anyone knows?

As usual it's cheaper to buy this stuff shipped from the US than it is at the shops down the road, but want to be 100% that I get the right order in.

Thanks in advance.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Check out the Ryco site (as they have a search function) for replacement filters and gaskets part numbers.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I believe there is a difference between the gaskets for the 6L45 and 6L80 transmission. The difference is the number of bolt holes. I think the V8 pan has 1 more bolt hole.
The Ryco filter kit comes with 2 gaskets and you just choose the one that fits your car.
Even better than that is the fact the original Holden gasket is a good quality metal gasket with rubber on both sides and it is reusable in most cases. I bought the Ryco kit and so have both cork gaskets because I refused the original one and it seals fine.

mstrjon32

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Thanks massively helpful @NJD-1992 and others.

Annoying as Amazon.com has free shipping to NZ on some of the part numbers, but neither of the ones it looks like I need. So instead of US$50 for the gasket and filter they want US$140 for what's effectively the same parts in terms of weight and dimensions. In this case it looks like I can get the parts I need and 13 quarts (so about 12L) AC Delco Dexron 6 from Rockauto for NZ$408. Of course, no one around here sells the actual Dexron 6, just the Multivehicle ATF which I might dump into an old car but not this one.

Defo want the GM original parts, too many bad experiences in the past with aftermarket. @greenacc I realise the gasket is reusable but with my luck if I don't have an extra on hand somehow it will come apart while taking it off and I'll be stuck. The SV6 is our only car.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Any of the Low viscocity slushbox oils are a good replacement for dexron, I really wouldnt worry. Personally when I finish my dexron stocks I am moving to Penrite ATF LV.

mstrjon32

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Yeah...I dunno, you're almost certainly correct but in the long term it's just a bit more money so for the peace of mind it's worth it. I hope to keep this one on the road for a long time, and automatic gearboxes are expensive. And I already put the order in earlier.

Now I'm just going to need to work out how I'm going to get the car high enough off the ground safely to do this job as I no longer have access to a lift.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Yeah...I dunno, you're almost certainly correct but in the long term it's just a bit more money so for the peace of mind it's worth it. I hope to keep this one on the road for a long time, and automatic gearboxes are expensive. And I already put the order in earlier.

Now I'm just going to need to work out how I'm going to get the car high enough off the ground safely to do this job as I no longer have access to a lift.
It's easy to do on stands ive done it many times.

mstrjon32

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
It's easy to do on stands ive done it many times.
You just put it on stands on all four corners? We just moved about a month ago and I'm starting over in the garage--I just did the oil this morning using the spare tyre jack to lift it and some firewood cuts to hold it up...

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
You just put it on stands on all four corners? We just moved about a month ago and I'm starting over in the garage--I just did the oil this morning using the spare tyre jack to lift it and some firewood cuts to hold it up...
Yes stands on all 4 corners. Jack up from front crossmember then put the stands in the lift positions
Jack up from diff and do the same.

For my suggestion you need a trolley jack