Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gone in 20 minutes - using laptops to steal cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
Its because people are driven by 'fads', why for christs sake would you want a keyless car? is it that hard to carry a key? Either way you need some form of reciever (central locking type) to start/lock the car, it's not that much more to carry a key.

people dig their own holes, if i went to get a ferrari or the same and they offered keyless entry id be saying thanks but no thanks, i want a key

Vs_sharlene

Beats a Kick in the Face!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Executive
I hate to say this but i could see it coming, I know how unsecure wireless can be and, maybe it is my evil mind, but I even thought about how I would break into one... not that i'm planning to but as Juzza said; It's bloody interesting!

jacko

Reaction score
Yeah im not surprised. if someone can get into my wireless home network :(, im sure it wouldnt be much harder to get into the wireless system of a car...

V

vnberlwagon

It's just technology catching up with something else that needed to be overhauled, or so someone thought. Nerds obviously had nothing to do one rainy Sunday arvo, so they thought to themselves,"lets invent something to show how technically superior we are, again". Damn Nerds, why can't they leave things as they are. If it ain't broke don't invent something that can be!

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
vnberlwagon said:
It's just technology catching up with something else that needed to be overhauled, or so someone thought. Nerds obviously had nothing to do one rainy Sunday arvo, so they thought to themselves,"lets invent something to show how technically superior we are, again". Damn Nerds, why can't they leave things as they are. If it ain't broke don't invent something that can be!

I'd say it's the manufacturers fault for not making an absolutely fool-proof method of doing this, and if they weren't able to make one then why put it on the cars to begin with, it's not nerds faults.. what's the point of having some security system with big holes in it, better to get public attention to it so it can be avoided or it can be fixed IMO

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
There are very, VERY good reasons why big companies still use wired networks, not wireless.

This article doesn't surprise me in the least.

vn88calais

Perth Representative
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VY Commodore 2002
maxy0987 said:
Its because people are driven by 'fads', why for christs sake would you want a keyless car? is it that hard to carry a key? Either way you need some form of reciever (central locking type) to start/lock the car, it's not that much more to carry a key.

people dig their own holes, if i went to get a ferrari or the same and they offered keyless entry id be saying thanks but no thanks, i want a key

haha so true and i agree with you 100% ... id ratehr a key too also because itd more than likely have the logo in the plastic bit and u know, thats snazzy!! :p

cheers, Todd

stew58

Reaction score
how about going real high teck, thumb print or retinal scan before you can start the car.

or a simple 6 digit alpha numeric code

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Professional car thieves will take your car if they want it no matter what type of security you have. Car security is really only there to keep the opportunistic thieves out. And as for the finger print entry, didn't you see Gone In 60 Seconds where he got fake finger prints? :yeah:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
There are very, VERY good reasons why big companies still use wired networks, not wireless.

This article doesn't surprise me in the least.

Yep there is, its because most people companies get to setup networks are incompetent fools.

Company i work for(soon leaving) has just paid 5 million dollars for the network upgrade. The entire network is wireless. It isn't wireless that is insecure, it is the idiot who set it up that is at fault. Years ago(well before wireless) i had a ddos net that was around 320,000 computers large(dont ask it was like a security blanket for old IRC wars), all because stupid people were allowed to call themselves IT Admins.

Status
Not open for further replies.