Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good fishing spots

SHFTVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Executive
Hey guys I just thought I could get some local knowledge on where to fish... They arnt biting as much as I remember as a little kid. The more I grow up the less likelihood of me catching that big monster suddenly turns to mud

So please share some local knowledge and hopefully I just might must off my line right nxt to ya

There's no right or wrong answer just a feed to tlk about those scaly critters

Cheers

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Where are you fishing from first of all, but my advice is to head out deep....

Have a crack at a fishing charter, they always restore my faith in fishing when things go quiet in the estuaries.

Last edited:

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I've longed to go on one of those 3 day live aboard charters off Broome for marlin, GTs, queenies and such. That would be an experience of a life time. I'd also like to do a Top End barra trip too. I'll die happy if I catch a 4 foot mako shark and a meter tuna.

Anyway, as for spots, let us know where you're fishing from and what resources you have to play with (gear, boat ect).

cracker

Reaction score
hazelwood is good for abit of fun, loads to catch nothing worth eatting but its good fun

SHFTVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Executive
Where are you fishing from first of all, but my advice is to head out deep....

Have a crack at a fishing charter, they always restore my faith in fishing when things go quiet in the estuaries.

Just down the west coast like Lorne and some local spots like Williamstown and Werribee south...

Iv really wanted to go on a charter with a couple of mates and hang out there for a couple of days, drink piss and catching fish, sounds like a good guys weekend

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Gymea is ok, right on the water.

Danielzke

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commy
Any spot with water is a great start haha. Seriously mate, those overlooked places that 'won't hold fish' must likey do. Try the lightest tackle you can get, light leader, size 4 long shank (catches EVERYTHING trust me) and a small sinker, sometimes, i fish with no sinker at all and let the bait drift. It looks natural so the fish always go for it. Use fresh bait, if you can't catch it there, go to the markets, get fresh prawns and peel em, you can't go wrong and you'll land more fish.

SHFTVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Executive
Any spot with water is a great start haha. Seriously mate, those overlooked places that 'won't hold fish' must likey do. Try the lightest tackle you can get, light leader, size 4 long shank (catches EVERYTHING trust me) and a small sinker, sometimes, i fish with no sinker at all and let the bait drift. It looks natural so the fish always go for it. Use fresh bait, if you can't catch it there, go to the markets, get fresh prawns and peel em, you can't go wrong and you'll land more fish.

I mostly use frozen blue bait iv been catching some fish pilchard lately

Iv also been using a slightly heavier sink then normal... I think that's whet I'm going wrong... What do u think??

Danielzke

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commy
Yeah for sure mate drop the weight catch the fish :D

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Just use the lightest sinker you can that will get your bait out to where you want it, and hold it there. If you are in deep water and trying to fish the bottom in fast current you need a heavy sinker, but if its shallow anid calm fish light or no weight.
You catch pilchards ? Tried them live or with gang hooks ?