Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good News for Holden VS Factory Service Manual Users

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
It’s now incredibly simple to directly run this manual on any Windows 64 bit operating system including Windows 11. Saves having to run the manual on an old PC with a Windows 16/32 bit operating system, or running it on a 64 bit operating system using a 32 bit emulator such as VirtualBox or VMWare.

The application is otvdm/winevdm: - Run old Windows software in 64-bit Windows. You can obtain/install the application as follows:
  • Go to the web site
https://github.com/otya128/winevdm/releases/tag/v0.8.0
  • Download the otvdm-v0.8.1.zip file.
  • Unzip the contents into a directory – such as C:/otdvm, or whatever you prefer.
  • Run the install shortcut contained in the directory two times. I didn’t use the other install (no console) shortcut – feel free to experiment if you wish.
  • Reinstall VSCD by executing the setup.exe contained in the VSCD directory (this allows otvdm to capture the required DLLs etc. to run the program).
  • Set up a shortcut on the desktop and type:
“C:\VSCD\MVIEWER2.EXE VSCD.MVB” (without quotes) as the target location.
  • Modify the “C:\VSCD” portion to reflect the actual location of your VSCD directory.
  • I used the lion.ico file in the VSCD directory as the shortcut icon.
  • Execute the new shortcut, press the File option on the top RHS and the standard VSCD menu will appear.
VSCD files are available at the link below (you need all files) 550MB.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yh9u0gvomnzv6cs/AAC2TZv26lIEvyBLUuVhrMPza?dl=0

Enjoy.

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Is that the same as the manual that was sold as a CD on eBay years ago? That runs okay in Win7.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is that the same as the manual that was sold as a CD on eBay years ago? That runs okay in Win7.
Quite likely. Runs fine on any late 32 bit Windows - 7, and 10 (possibly 8). But not 64 bit versions.

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
FYI. I noticed a minor problem with the diagram displays in some of the manual sections. Only the diagram figures are shown (eg. Figure 5A-2) not the diagrams themselves. However, if you page down, then page up again, the diagrams will appear.

If you go into Standard Brakes and Master Cylinder Operation, you will see what I mean.

Another issue I discovered is when you want to print a section of the manual to PDF. When you specify the file name, you have to specify the full location and name. For example, if you were printing a document to PDF called "Standard Brakes" you would need to specify something like "c:\Standard Brakes.pdf", or in my case "c:\users\georgec\documents\Standard Brakes.pdf".

Last edited:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Nothing beats the real hardcopy books which I've got the whole lot. Most of the update stuff isn't on the CD Service Manual.

bwian

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s111 ute 3.8
You can run a 32 bit windows in virtual machine, and install vscd manual. Will give it a go.
And works fine.

Last edited:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
If I recall correctly the VS CD also has the VR SM on it as the VS is really only an update set of manuals to work in conjunction with the Full VR books.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
If I recall correctly the VS CD also has the VR SM on it as the VS is really only an update set of manuals to work in conjunction with the Full VR books.
Correct, although you can't access the VR manuals directly via the contents page, you have to access them via the links in various parts of the VS manuals.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Correct, although you can't access the VR manuals directly via the contents page, you have to access them via the links in various parts of the VS manuals.

Yes you are correct, it's all a bit dopey to be honest. The VS side is just really a supplement to the VR series of books. Holden had a strange way of not repeating stuff they had already printed in a previous series of books, but sometimes they did when they felt like it. That practice all started with the HQ series and the first VB Manual refers back to particular volumes in the HQ books. I could never quite work out whether it was about selling more books or just merely laziness on their behalf.