Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good Or Bad Idea?

B

bad_boyz

Hey,

After weeks of searching and not finding anything suitable I'm kind of over trying to find the 'prefect' car. I understand on a budget of $5k that's never going to happen. Had a deal collapse at the last minute, and other than that all the other cars I've looked at have turned out to be peices of sh!t.

So right now, all I want is a car, and I've decided not to splash out $5k on an n/a commodore when I am only $2k away from a vlt. I would save up, but right now I need transport to get to uni and work etc.

So yeah, I;m pretty much stuck for ideas but very keen on buying. What I'm thinking I will do is buy a stock n/a vl auto or manual with relatively low km's for around $2-2500k yeah. should look pretty ugly, but i basically need something that will get me from a to b without breaking down all the time. that leaves me with $3k to bank and is a good motivator to start saving. in the meantime I can learn all about the rb30 and maybe enough to do some of the engine mods myself.

so eventually, what I think I will do is either wait till I've saved up enough, sell the commie and buy a vlt (non preferable option), however my preference would be to put an rb25det head with turbo on the rb30 engine block and there we have it, my dream car. By this time is still should look pretty ugly but paint and sh!t like that comes last imo, but that will have to happen as well.

Okay now, a few queries. How much to do the rb25det engine conversion? obvioulsy i'll have to buy a new gearbox etc but how much are we looking at all up, approximately?

is it worth it?

cheers,
adz

seventh path

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VL RB30 Berlina
are you changing the head or the engine?????
to put a rb25 head on you need to drill and tap a hole for the extra belt tensioner........if you've got experience then you can do it yourself only cost you the price of the head, belt, head ghasket(replace it if you change the head)
if you're changing the engine then you need to change the engine(obviosly) and the gearbox......maybe the tailshaft as well

B

bad_boyz

Well I haven't decided yet. If I'm left with $3k I might save for a couple of months till I've got $5k, and I'll probably turbo the car the cheapest way possible. I don't want to put in an rb20det cos I've heard bad things about them in a commie and im not prepared to f*** it up.

What about gearboxes? if I buy an auto I suppose a manual conversion will be between $1.5k and $2.5k, which is pretty expensive, but n/a manual gearbox wouldn't be strong enough to hand the extra power anyway, so I'd be forced to change the transmission. Would it still be cheaper in the long run if i was to buy an manual?

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
QUOTE Well I haven't decided yet. If I'm left with $3k I might save for a couple of months till I've got $5k, and I'll probably turbo the car the cheapest way possible. I don't want to put in an rb20det cos I've heard bad things about them in a commie and im not prepared to f*** it up.

With modifying cars there never really is a 'cheap' way If you really want a VLT get yourself a little run around car for around 2k. Save up until you've got enough to start looking. Once you find something, sell the little runabout to cover any small mods you want for the new one.

OR

Converting the RB30e remembering that any proper conversion needs

- Turbo and related accesories (manifold/s, injectors, ECU etc etc)
-Brake upgrade to at least VLT fronts, Disc rear and a one inch master cylinder
-Strengthened Jatco (Auto) or a MX7/R33 5 Speed
-Decent Suspension
-Intercooler if it's still high compression or VLT Pistons to run lower compression
- VLT Fuel Pump and reg.

VL's are also a 15-17 year old car now, so you have to budget for everything else that goes wrong during the whole process.

OR

The most cost effective and reliable way to go with around 5k would be purchasing an R33 Halfcut with the manual and RB25DET once you've got the money saved. They're getting bloody cheap plus you can sell off anything you don't need. They're newer tech, low klm motors that can be pretty damn quick modified.

Just a few things to consider

Jake

B

bad_boyz

QUOTE (OSL-060 @ Feb 28 2004, 09:20 PM) The most cost effective and reliable way to go with around 5k would be purchasing an R33 Halfcut with the manual and RB25DET once you've got the money saved. They're getting bloody cheap plus you can sell off anything you don't need. They're newer tech, low klm motors that can be pretty damn quick modified.

Just a few things to consider

Jake
Interesting...

What would doing this involve and how much would you estimate the cost?

thanks,
adz

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
It's a pretty hard call over the net Adz, you could get your own quotes and think I was full of sh!t

So take this very rough idea with a grain of salt

- Halfcut $2500-$4000
- Fitting if you don't do it yourself about $1000
- Springs, Shocks, Adjustable Panhard Rod and bushes- $700
- Turbo back 3" between $700-$1000
- Slotted Rotors and Calipers for the Rear $300
- VLT Fronts- $150-$300
- Misc. $500- $1000 (**** always happens that you don't budget for, it's a given)

Adds up just like a RB30et conversion but as I said it's newer tech and most of the time your getting a 60,000klm-100,000klm motor and g'box.

Cheers

Jake

B

bad_boyz

QUOTE (OSL-060 @ Feb 29 2004, 10:20 AM) It's a pretty hard call over the net Adz, you could get your own quotes and think I was full of sh!t

So take this very rough idea with a grain of salt

- Halfcut $2500-$4000
- Fitting if you don't do it yourself about $1000
- Springs, Shocks, Adjustable Panhard Rod and bushes- $700
- Turbo back 3" between $700-$1000
- Slotted Rotors and Calipers for the Rear $300
- VLT Fronts- $150-$300
- Misc. $500- $1000 (**** always happens that you don't budget for, it's a given)

Adds up just like a RB30et conversion but as I said it's newer tech and most of the time your getting a 60,000klm-100,000klm motor and g'box.

Cheers

Jake
OKay thanks for the idea.

I was wondering if I could get it done in stages or would I have to go all out at once?

My mechanical knowledge of cars is zero, but i have mates who might know what to do. is it hard to do urself, and how long would it take?

cheers
adz

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
It's really not that hard, it's a matter of having someone around with the right tools and a little more experience. The RB25DET and box could be fitted one weekend if you get right into it. All I can say is get on a few forums like www.rbforums.com or www.calaisturbo.com.au, research old topics and start new ones everytime you have a question. Theres alot of guys who really know their VL's on Calais Turbo with a wealth of knowledge to share.

You can do it stages, buy the half-cut, strip it of what you need. Sell the bits you don't whilst saving the extra dollars for fitting. Upgrade your brakes/suspension while waiting.

Jake

G

Grantis1976

Mate, I'm with Jake on afew of these ideas.........

Buy a cheap run-around
or
Buy a half cut, and if doing it in stages, start with suspension and brakes, this way, the saftey side of things is taken care of, AND you get to learn how the car handles, stops etc. before you go throwing extra horses at it !

Personaly, if your wanting to go to a different motor, go the cut, there usualy a low km. healthy motor complete with box, wireing, ecu, intercooler, injectors etc.

If I was to do this, I'd purchase a decent looking VL thats been to the moon and back - realy cheap, then fit the new stoppers, suspenion, exhust.........then finaly the running gear !

Good Luck !!!