Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Goodbye everyone - goodbye forums - goodbye (crappy) holden

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
When the power and torque are above what the car was designed for it has a lot to do with it.

Havent owned a Kia and never will, I get my info from a mate that works at Kia. He also would never buy one and he knows more about them than you or I.

It my experience it is my opinion that korean cars are ****, hows that then?

Yep, if power and torque are more than the car are designed for, you are asking for problems. Your point?

I dont base my opinion on anything but owning and driving them for 7 years, with excellent performance and reliability. I dont have a mate that works for Kia, I dont work for Holden, all I have is my own experience. My experience has been bloody brilliant with them.

I dont need to listen to you or your mate telling me that a car is **** when it goes well, is well featured and totally reliable, and continues to prove itself time and time again.

I used to work for a Toyota service department, and I certainly saw plenty of Toyotas being fixed too, does that mean all Toyotas are rubbish?

Not interested in 'my mate says...' at all. For all I know he is the janitor or a first year apprentice anyway. You want to offer an opinion, buy one, drive it for a few years, then come back.

I recently test drove a brand new Kia, one of the small $13990 hatch back ones. Can't remember the model.

Now I don't know about Kia's more expensive models but that thing was the most horrible car I've ever driven. And the build quality was FAR worse than my vs commodore. Interior panels felt like wiz bin plastic, gearbox felt like it was made out of spaghetti.

Power wise, pathetic. Even for a 1.6(which should be okay around town) I had to put my foot flat to the floor and drop a gear to even barely pull up a moderate hill at the speed limit(80kph). And taking it onto the freeway and attempting to merge with such little power was a complete joke.

I'd never buy a Kia from that experience.

However Hyundai's build quality is rather good from the ones I have looks at.

/end rant.

I've never driven a Rio, a little too small for my tastes, but either of my Ceratos have great build quality. The older one goes very well (it led its class for performance when new) and the new one with its 6spd is a pretty quick car for a 2L. It would give my VS a damn good run for its money.

If you want to compare the Rio against something, go for a spin in a Yaris. Now theres a crap car.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
Yep, if power and torque are more than the car are designed for, you are asking for problems. Your point?

I dont base my opinion on anything but owning and driving them for 7 years, with excellent performance and reliability. I dont have a mate that works for Kia, I dont work for Holden, all I have is my own experience. My experience has been bloody brilliant with them.

I dont need to listen to you or your mate telling me that a car is **** when it goes well, is well featured and totally reliable, and continues to prove itself time and time again.

I used to work for a Toyota service department, and I certainly saw plenty of Toyotas being fixed too, does that mean all Toyotas are rubbish?

Not interested in 'my mate says...' at all. For all I know he is the janitor or a first year apprentice anyway. You want to offer an opinion, buy one, drive it for a few years, then come back.

I've never driven a Rio, a little too small for my tastes, but either of my Ceratos have great build quality. The older one goes very well (it led its class for performance when new) and the new one with its 6spd is a pretty quick car for a 2L. It would give my VS a damn good run for its money.

If you want to compare the Rio against something, go for a spin in a Yaris. Now theres a crap car.

That's it, a Rio, pretty horrid.

I used to do mobile security patrols, and the cars we used were 2010 auto yaris's. They were pretty horrible haha, though they were a step ahead of the rio.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp

Your experience is with ONE car. And youve probably never driven a decent one for comparison purposes.

Mine and my mates, both qualified mechanics, have experience with many Kias.

Therefore if ones uses logic when forming opinions which you may or may not, our opinion holds more weight that yours.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Difference being mine produces a shitload more power and torque which gets used on a regular basis. Im also betting the Kia drives like a 20 year old car as ive driven quite a few of them

I would suggest that a diff rebuild would be very much the exception for near all cars these days. I have heard of a few turbo Fords and a few Holdens with diff changes from time to time, but I also suspect that the way they are driven had a bit to do with it. I have a VY at work and BA Fairmont - both with around 300,000km on them - both on original diffs & auto's. Both having only had scheduled servicing and both being used extensively for towing up to 2000kgs routinely.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I recently test drove a brand new Kia, one of the small $13990 hatch back ones. Can't remember the model.

Now I don't know about Kia's more expensive models but that thing was the most horrible car I've ever driven. And the build quality was FAR worse than my vs commodore. Interior panels felt like wiz bin plastic, gearbox felt like it was made out of spaghetti.

Power wise, pathetic. Even for a 1.6(which should be okay around town) I had to put my foot flat to the floor and drop a gear to even barely pull up a moderate hill at the speed limit(80kph). And taking it onto the freeway and attempting to merge with such little power was a complete joke.

I'd never buy a Kia from that experience.

However Hyundai's build quality is rather good from the ones I have looks at.

/end rant.

Hahahaha - $13,990 car. What are you expecting??? Not sure I'd be holding up a VR Commodore as an example of good interior plastics :rofl:.

Reaper

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I would suggest that a diff rebuild would be very much the exception for near all cars these days. I have heard of a few turbo Fords and a few Holdens with diff changes from time to time, but I also suspect that the way they are driven had a bit to do with it. I have a VY at work and BA Fairmont - both with around 300,000km on them - both on original diffs & auto's. Both having only had scheduled servicing and both being used extensively for towing up to 2000kgs routinely.

Reaper

Yep mine cops a hard time. It wasnt rebuilt because it let go, just a slight bearing noise when cruising on the fwy. Could have left it and would prob still be going today but i like to catch problems early.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Hahahaha - $13,990 car. What are you expecting??? Not sure I'd be holding up a VR Commodore as an example of good interior plastics :rofl:.

Reaper

Yeah VN-VS and they're interior plastics haha.

Shithouse.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
Yeah VN-VS and they're interior plastics haha.

Shithouse.

Haha yeah true true, the Rio is still ****, but I'm not sure about there other models.

As for plastics in the vs, everytime I touch a button on the dash it feels like its all going to crumble and snap. They must have made it all out of recycled horse **** lol.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Your experience is with ONE car. And youve probably never driven a decent one for comparison purposes.

Mine and my mates, both qualified mechanics, have experience with many Kias.

Therefore if ones uses logic when forming opinions which you may or may not, our opinion holds more weight that yours.

I have owned quite a few Kias actually. As for never having driven a decent car for comparison, thats just insulting. I've owned Ford, Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Mazda, Mercedes, BMW, Holden, Fiat and plenty of others which slip my mind. I am happy to repeat the Kias are the best cars I have owned, in terms of a cost effective, well featured, well built package.

I think you are forgetting something too, from the mechanics point of view. You get to see the ones that are broken.... how many arent? There are thousands of Kias just like mine which have never needed a damn thing done to them, including every one that I have ever owned. I'm sure there are thousands of Holdens that just keep holden on too of course.

There is another factor you havent even bothered to mention. Your Commodore cost nearly double the price of the Kia new. Logic would dictate thats not a great comparison. Did Holden make any Astras in 05 or were they imported? (I dont actually know) but if they were locally built I'd be interested in seeing one of those shitboxes compared instead...

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Umm no I dont just see the broken ones, some come in for services not just repairs.

As for price comparisons and logic dictating its a poor comparison, youre the one who started comparing Kias to Commodores unless Im mistaken?

And my 7 year old Korean Kia has had nothing but scheduled services since the day I bought it new. My diff didnt need rebuilding, my water pump is still just fine. In 160k its had a set of brake pads and a few tyres. Oil gets changed when its serviced I assume lol.. I know I dont do it..

Astras were all imported.