Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

got new pacemakers and hi flow cats with 2 1/2'' cat back and sounds crap ?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
Don't want to derail this thread but what do you mean by that comment. Reason I ask is cause I bought an SS with MAFless tune. What are the benefits of a MAF tune other than legality?

I've driven a couple of different VE SS V8 tuned cars with maf and maffless tunes with the usual mods exhaust/otr etc and found (my car anyway-made 250rwkw) that it seems a bit friendlier to drive around town (different gears at different speeds different rev's) but in saying this each car is different and each tuner and dyno can be different, mine was done at torque power and i'm very pleased, it's all about throttle response/drivability and the benefit is better performance and fuel economy and the smile on your dial

VE8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS Thunder
I've driven a couple of different VE SS V8 tuned cars with maf and maffless tunes with the usual mods exhaust/otr etc and found (my car anyway-made 250rwkw) that it seems a bit friendlier to drive around town (different gears at different speeds different rev's) but in saying this each car is different and each tuner and dyno can be different, mine was done at torque power and i'm very pleased, it's all about throttle response/drivability and the benefit is better performance and fuel economy and the smile on your dial

Thanx for the input. I bought my car 3mnths ago (manual SS Thunder) completely stock except for cold air & MAFless tune which I didn't realise at the time it had at the time. I put 95 fuel in it & it would pig root all the time so I put 98 in and it ran abit better. I've now installed full exhaust & it runs heaps better but still pig roots a bit when cold. Maybe I should have it retuned.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
yeah may need a touch up to the tune because of the full exhaust that you have on it now, most when tuned are done to run 98 only (or better)

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN-F VF CLUBSPORT SV 340
I always run mine on 98 octane . is that something I need to tell the tuner on the next visit ? I can't wait to get this vcm air intake installed and re tuned . I think he said what figure he said what it got before doing tuning but I forgot or wasn't listening lol . I have a super short attention span . next step will be getting a cam installed when the funds are there , I really want that awesome idle sound and extra power but mostly for the sound .

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
To go back to the original post, get rid if the X pipe. They sound like crap. Put the H back in.

Your headers will be 1 3/4".

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
NAAF, you say ditch the X and have H pipe instead, difference? there is supposed to be a merge pipe that is the go, your thoughts

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
H, merge, kiss and X pipes work in different ways. A true X pipe will cross the pulses over but at the same time muddle the note and quieten it down.

A kiss pipe, if done right, will act similarly to a H, but the biggest issue of a kiss pipe is that pipe diameter is reduced at the kiss, as you have to cut away some of the bend to open it up to the other bank.

A merge on the other hand is a totally different animal. It acts almost like a Pulse Termination Box, where the pulse from each bank will enter the merge, then dissipate, losing actual pulse velocity. They also muddle the note and make it quieter.

IMO, kiss, X and merge pipes all make the exhaust sound crap, because the combine the pulses and the individual "bang" from each bank resulting in 8 pulses from each bank rather than 4.

A H on the other hand doesn't affect exhaust noise, only exhaust pulse pressure. Because of the firing order of the Holden the pulses are spaced at weird intervals so the H pipe sort of evens the pressures out from side to side without changing the note too much so you still get that definitive V8 pulse.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
What sort of gains do you see from these types of exhausts? I have paceys and twin 2.5" not merged on a gen3 and love the sound but if theres gains to be had . . . . .

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
No real gains by changing anything, except if you have an X pipe. A true X pipe and not just a merge or kiss. The location of the X will change where the torque comes on.

The best gain will be from a tune.