Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Got the shudders

R

ralph

hey all i've got a couple of probs so heres the story. I got a 91 LS VN with 216thou on the clock. first thing i did when i purchased it was check all the fluid levels and so forth. nothing wrong there. so onto problem no 1. when i put my foot down (that happens quite alot!) i notice quite a distinctive shuddering. it only seems to happen in first stage. it does feel like its coming from the front of the car and there is no dodgy sounds coming from anywhere.
also problem no 2. cruising along at 80 - 100km/h if i let go of the steering wheel it shakes, but when i grab hold of it again i can't actually feel it shaking underneath my hands. the actual car isn't shaking. just concerned because the car had a recent wheel alignment/balance and i thought that would fix it.
can anyone please help me?

Bec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6L Wagon
The shuddering is most likely the centre bearing, which is what I thought was wrong with mine when it happened. Instead it was my gearbox mounts which were stuffed (not a nice feeling when I found out it was the box wobbling around!)

V

VPCalais

Steering wheel shudder "may" be a dodgy wheel bearing on one of the front wheels. If it is causing the wheel to shudder tho it would have to be nearly fubar. Easiest way to check the wheel bearings is jack up the front of the car and grab the tyre top and bottom and try to lever it back and forth. If there is play your bearings may ba knackered. If you can move it by grabbing the front and rear of the tyre and there is play (like you are trying to steer the car with your hands) your steering rack/steering arms may have play in them.
Just a thought.

R

ralph

thanks - i Have noticed it actually starting to get worse, i will definitely try that after work. Man i sure hope its not that. Ive had the car two months now and its already cost me a rebuilt transmission (bloody dodgy car dealer!)

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Steering wheel shaking or vibrating can also be cause by front wheels not being balanced properly.

Cheers,
Jim :cool: