Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GPS Navigation

melissasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I wouldn't rely on your gps to give you a correct reading.

I've used mine in 3 different cars now and it all says i'm doing between 8-10km over the speed limit and I know i'm not.

But it is great if your unsure of the speed limit around.

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VC L, VK Vacationer
It gives a much more accurate reading than the car's speedo. It tells me I'm doing 85 when I'm doing 100.

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
It gives a much more accurate reading than the car's speedo. It tells me I'm doing 85 when I'm doing 100.

I wouldn't rely on your gps to give you a correct reading.

I've used mine in 3 different cars now and it all says i'm doing between 8-10km over the speed limit and I know i'm not.

But it is great if your unsure of the speed limit around.

Generally the speedo will be more accurate below 80kmh, but once you go 90-100+ the gps is considerably more accurate... If it refreshes quickly enough. You cant trust it to be giving an accurate reading for that very second that you look at it, generally they only have a 400mhz cpu in them, so it can take a second or two for them to refresh. For example, my gps claimed 109kmh. A speed camera said 117 >.> Speedo was somewhere between the two.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
^Speed camera by default is the most inaccurate :p

I think my tomtom is fair accurate and I trust it over my speedo. It always reads about 5-6k's over when doing 80km/h and about 8k's over when doing 100km/h. Speed = Distance/Time. Your navigation device is constantly updating your position on the map with the aid of multiple satellites. The map thats loaded onto your device has distance scaled into it and therefore can calculate speed.

Some people are mistaken into thinking that the speed and whatnot comes directly from the satellites when actually everything is calculated within the navigation device. The only data you receive from satellites is their position in the atmosphere.

Dangerous Dave

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Caprice
I'd be screwed without my Tom Tom.. Not just for the GPS though.. bluetooth handsfree, it shows my incoming SMS on it, speed camera's, red light camera's.

They are not just navigators anymore, they have become something most drivers need just to stay LEGAL !!!

(Oh and tomtom's are easy as to update maps.. PM me and i'll tell u where to look ;) )

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I'm far from a P plater but here's the drum. I'm not far off a walking melways and can easily beat any navigator from suburb to suburb although I can see this changing as live traffic updating gets better. Once I'm looking for a specific address that iv'e never been to before the navigator wins hands down. It saves me up to several hours per week with out having my nose in the Melways. I use it less than 5 times a year now.

Reaper

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I have Tomtom on my phone, but I rarely use it. 98% of my trips are to places I already know different ways to (work, uni, home, friend's houses etc). I only have it because I know that sometimes when I am in an area that I don't know so well I tend to get lost easily.

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
im 19, green p plater..and my dads a truck driver. He has taught me well, reading maps and such..and when i went on the truck during school holidays my head was stuck in the CBD as we call it (map book) reading and studying where we needed to go as the delivery address was on the docket. He would ask me where to turn even if though he knew where he was going and 9 times out of 10 i was right. I know the goldcoast like the back of my hand, city im not so great at but thats because its all 1 way streets and crap..i hate the gps because it tell u to turn, when u drive past the street, i've used the tom tom once on the way through the city and i got the shits with it and found my own way..street signs and a bit of knowledge always prevail.

Last edited:

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
####################

Last edited: