Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grease nipples

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Have any Commodores ever been fitted with grease nipples?
Multiple grease nipples fitted to cars and trucks fitted with king pin front ends.
When ball joints replaced king pins, some were fitted with grease nipples.
I've never seen a grease nipple on a Macpherson strut.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
As promised, FJ owner’s manual, (a whole 44 pages, abbreviated by me ) ………

Standard engine oil SAE 20. ‘Heavier oils’ are not recommended for a number of reasons. ( Same reasons as today.)
Under normal driving condition, change engine oil after no more than 2,000 miles, or more frequently if driving under adverse conditions, ie; dusty, short runs, cold weather, hard driving.
Every 1,000 miles, a few drops of oil on the generator, and fill the distributor cup with chassis lubricant. ( Huh, fill the distributor with grease ???) and grease upper and lower control arm pivot pins, tie rods.
Air cleaner, every 2,000 miles, remove, clean with petrol/kerosene, dry and refill with SAE50 oil.
Rotate tyres every 3,000 miles.
Every 5,000 miles or twice a year, inspect/replace fan belt, and a complete motor tune-up, and repack front wheel bearings.
Change gearbox oil every 10,000 miles with SAE90.
Dismantle and repack universal joints every 25,000 miles

Manufacturers warranty 90 days or 4,000 miles, whichever first, from first delivery. ( 7 years warranty ? Tell him he's dreamin' )

Driving hints……..
Quick getaways are thrills that cost money, waste petrol and can damage the gearbox and diff. (Mangers and skid kids, avert your eyes)
Sudden Stops costs extra petrol and brake linings.
High Speeds are more than dangerous.
Soft tyres are hard on your petrol bill.
Parking in the sun will evaporate petrol from your tank
An idling motor is a useless expense.
An inefficient carburettor is an efficient petrol waster.
Cheap lubrication is a waste of money.
Dirty spark plugs may waste your petrol.
An over-full crankcase wastes oil, despite theories you may have heard.

Plus lots of other advice on driving downhill, uphill, starting on a hill, curves, slippery roads, tyre blowouts, skidding, sand and gravel.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Have any Commodores ever been fitted with grease nipples?
Maybe not commodores from factory but USA PPV's had field upgraded sway bar links with grease nipples fitted. These GM upgraded parts fit the VF so they may have been fitted to some commodores by their owners. Seen the part numbers on a US Chevy SS forum (i think it was) but didn't note the thread post and haven't found it again :oops: If someones memory is better than mine, please post a link ;)
When ball joints replaced king pins, some were fitted with grease nipples.
I've never seen a grease nipple on a Macpherson strut.
Mazdas in the late 80's used Macpherson struts where the lower ball joint had a grease nipple. Years later, the factory replacement ball joints did away with the grease nipple. Part of the cost cutting fad no doubt.

Sadly, greasable ball joints haven't been common for a quite a while. Why manufacturers don't use grease nipples on ball joints any longer has probably more to do with manufacturing cost cutting and designed obsolescence than solid (lasting) engineering principles.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Thanks for that @figjam :cool:

Much of that FJ servicing one could do themsleves with simple basic tools. Took time out of ones day but hey, it's a hobby o_O
And with the FJ, almost everything was rebuildable :)

These days, one needs computers and a subscription just to do some maintenance tasks. Parts a replacable and not rebuildable while the sun will eventually kill much of the plastics in our VF's :oops: and don't mention the longevity of airbags and other pyrotechics within our vehicles :eek:

Still, they do drive in a much much more refined way than vehicels from days of old :) If only speed limits kept pace :rolleyes:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
^^^^^ and it certainly was not possible to drive Sydney > Brisbane, or Sydney > Melbourne as a comfortable 8 hour doddle in a new FJ..

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I've read through this whole thread and felt disappointed.
No greased nipples at all.

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
I actually replaced my tie rod ends recently and the new (aftermarket) ones I put on have grease nipples.