Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gripes About Stereo Installers

G

Gamble

Nope, just wrapped the wires together and taped them up.... i didnt know bout the cradle and keys, he could of asked.... i no he porlly does it all da time and its habit... but wen i done my vx i ahd 2 drive around lookin for a cradle

V

VTCommo98

I have a bit of a horror story but I guess it was sort of my fault.

When I first got my car, it was a standard VT all stock in it.

So the first thing I did was buy a headunit, then the guy charged me 60 bucks to install it, which I saw him to and it was a matter of pulling out the old stereo, unplugging it, plugging in the new one, and pushing it in the slot, and he also charged me 30 bucks for a pocket, which made up the room that was missing from the big commodore headunit, and the slimmer one.

As he was doing it I thought, ****, i coulda saved 60 bucks on install, and 20 bucks on the pocket as they sell at autobarn for 10 bucks.

Anyway, i copped it on the chin and went home.

A month later, I bought new speakers, 4 of them, for each door, when I returned to JB for installs they said, ah yeh that will be 80 bucks a door, i fainted... 80 bucks u kidding me? the speakers costed me 50 each.

Anyway on the way home i stopped off at a car book store and bought a commodore book on how to rip it apart.

To take off the first door took me 2 hours, as i couldn't figure out how to take off the clip holding the window winder, then i got one of mum's forks, bent it the right way and I was off, the other doors took me 15 mins each, i had saved 320 bucks.

Next came the sub and amp, and as I knew it was a bit harder to do and had no clue where to drill or touch, i did my homework and got in touch with the brother of a mate of mine, who took an hour to install it, did a very clean job and showed me each step as he did it, he charged me 20 bucks, and i bought him a 6 pack, while he was fitting it.

Now I just want to say to you, that if you ever want to get something installed in your car don't go to any shops ever. Either find a friend or an aquaintance who'll do it for you, or read the instructions or buy a commodore book and do it yourself.

The only thing you may want to get installed by a pro/shop, is perhaps your sub, which is the thing which can **** up ur car the most if u **** un the installation, but speakers and headunit, don't even give those pricks a chance to talk u into them installing it for you.

PS: My head unit became very loose a month after I had it installed and when I had a look at why, the **** (excuse my french) had snapped this clip in my unit which made it loose, i stormed back into JB and he gave me a new one and fixed it free of charge. At least they did one good thing.

Loz