Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grooves in Brake Rotors. What should I do?

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
Nothing to worry about in terms of performance or safety. Not an unheard of occurrence. Caused by hard material on the pad face. Either some foreign material from the road or clumping/inclusion of a hard component of the formulation of the friction material.
I doubt Holden or anyone would replace under warranty. If you had steel rims and hubcaps like years ago, you'd never have known.

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Whilst it's not a serious issue, considering they are only 5,000K old, I'd be pressing for new rotors and a reason why it has occurred....After all, I've done considerably more kays on my rotors than you have and there is no grooves in them.

Seriously...

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
It's called wear and tear. What you should do is move on and find something else to think about.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
At best Holden might skim the rotor and fit new pads but personally I wouldn't waste my time. Mention it at the next service should the rotor become un-serviceable in the future they may cover it under warranty.

Davison

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16
Had the same thing since similar kays, not a big deal, they are brakes- they wear. It won't materially affect longevity. Holden's solution will be to machine the rotors, which WILL shorten their life.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Holden will say that the discs are consumables and not covered under warranty or causes by grit between disc and pad etc . My right rear has a couple of grooves no big deal

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Seriously...

Seriously what? 5,000K on rotors and grooves in them, where as I have done more like 20,000 on my VT rotors and have no grooves....

IMA, I bought el-cheapo crud rotors and put Bendix pads in....The rotors are warped, as they shudder under braking, but still no grooves, hence my suggestion of the OP requesting new rotors, due to the lack of kays on them

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Seriously what? 5,000K on rotors and grooves in them, where as I have done more like 20,000 on my VT rotors and have no grooves....

IMA, I bought el-cheapo crud rotors and put Bendix pads in....The rotors are warped, as they shudder under braking, but still no grooves, hence my suggestion of the OP requesting new rotors, due to the lack of kays on them

Seriously for suggesting to waste his time and dealer's time on something that is not an issue...

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
My T3 4000 rear rotors have had grooves since they were about 6 months old. No big deal. It's clearly caused by a hard spot in the pads. It certainly doesn't affect the braking performance and isn't a safety issue. So, I don't even think about it.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Thanks everyone appreciate the feedback