Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

guide to rebuilding an RB30 engine?

cracker

Reaction score
removing the head isnt that hard just keep ripping **** off untill it comes off.
follow what bow down said

remove your head get it inspected, reco'd and maybe slide a baby cam in ( $130 from wade) and put it back together.

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
removing the head isnt that hard just keep ripping **** off untill it comes off.
follow what bow down said

remove your head get it inspected, reco'd and maybe slide a baby cam in ( $130 from wade) and put it back together.

Sweet... just wondering though, any difference between a turbo head and N/A head? A guy is selling a head off his turbo and curious if that would be better than getting mine recond?

I like the sound of that wade cam :D So reckon getting the head off, get it faced, cleaned and pressure tested and then put it back together (maybe with a few new parts along the way)?

Should this fix the probem of low compression in the 2nd and 3rd cylinders? and get it running smooth?

Cheers guys

Also, what do you need to get done to fit in a baby cam? Had a look around but didn't get an exact answer

Last edited:

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
i had a wade 818b in my vl and rest of stuff was stock.

n/a and turbo heads are same....

it may fix problem.is your head gsake still ok.low comp could be compresion ring?

cracker

Reaction score
id tip yes.
mix water and oil, missing lossing coolant, low comp between pots. and being realistic its a standard n/a motor and i doubt youv been belting the **** out of it, very much doubt rings.

read up in your vl book about compression testing and various methods used to determine what it is.

get another head even, worth nothing, n/a turbo are the same.
send it off too get tested and new valve seats and valve guides. get the steam seals done too.
go and talk to wade cams, say uv got a n/a its pretty much stock id like alittle more poke while still maintaning nice street manners etc etc just something small
$120 is #### all, plus machining your lifter blocks $80 odd.
while its apart dont put the standard manifold back on throw a set of extractors on expect to pay $50 2nd hand, and find a nice exhaust.

enjoy it for what it is. and basic vl n/a with a little cam for a little bit more go that you were able to do your self.

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
i had a wade 818b in my vl and rest of stuff was stock.

n/a and turbo heads are same....

it may fix problem.is your head gsake still ok.low comp could be compresion ring?

Much improvement with the cam? How lumpy was it at idle?

easy to check the compression rings if the heads off?

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
check it whilst mtr is together.....

no lump.went hard made 200rwkw on just 10 psi,auto,600+nm of tourqe

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
i had the compression checked for each of the cylinders. 2nd and 3rd were low. Not sure if thats what you mean.

I also spoke to a guy from wade cams today and he said basicaly for an N/A auto a baby cam isnt going to add much at all, i may as well keep my own one.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
yea i wouldnt bother modifying a n/a rb30