Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

h/u recommendation and amplification

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
OK time to upgrade the h/u finally. i need something decent to get up to scratch (so to speak) with the rest of my gear. at the moment i just have an old sony tape deck with a stacker, but i have a clarion 4ch amp bridging 2 channels for a sub and some 6x9's out the back (wagon). the fronts have been replaced with cheap 4" pioneers running of the h/u. i would like to have a clarion h/u but im open to suggestions, im on a budget so something around the $200 mark will have to suffice, but i need something with atleast 4ch rca preouts, mp3 and aux in would also be a neccesity.

autobarn have a deal on atm where you trade in your old h/u on a particular clarion head unit and receive a pair of clarion 6" speakers for $200, which is great because i just bought some vs door pods and map pockets, as i plan to do away with the 4" dash speakers. should i amp the fronts now instead of the backs? the back is too overpowering now with only 4" dealing the front..

thanks

spxdsn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec Wagon, 02 VX Calais
i just picked up a nice JVC deck at Jb hi-fi for $209. (yes i know its jvc, but its quite awesome). Mp3/wma, aux, ipod ready etc.
KD-G435.

Matty.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks mate, i think im pretty set on this clarion, it would be good to have all matching gear,

so what does everyone think, amp the fronts or keep it how it is

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
most ppl would prolly tell u 2 amp up ur fronts and run ur rears off the head unit but i dont see y u shouldnt amp up ur rears aswell specially ina wagon, but if u do do that u would b best off buyin another amp 4 just ur sub and use the 4ch 2 run the fronts and rears but if u dont wanna buy another amp then if u get those 6" speakers 4 the fronts prolly would b best 2 just amp those.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah im thinkin i'll re-wire it and amp the fronts, so i'll have to check the rms handling of the new speakers, they have to be around 50wrms to cope with the amp. it would be nice to buy a mono amp for the sub but funds dont permit for now.

i also need a loom attachment, the previous bugger cut of the OEM plug, so off to the wreakers to cut one of another car and solder it into mine... then i need to get a adapter plug for that to wire my new h/u in properly, i hear Aerpro make a good one? would anywhere stock these?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
super cheap does and even repco (prolly expensive there tho) but im sure ne audio place would have them as 4 ur funds if ur lookin 2 buy an amp later in the future u should plan 4 that and take that into account wen buying ur new head unit somthing with 3 pre outs would make life a lil easier 4 u wen the time comes 2 add future plans

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
super cheap does and even repco (prolly expensive there tho) but im sure ne audio place would have them as 4 ur funds if ur lookin 2 buy an amp later in the future u should plan 4 that and take that into account wen buying ur new head unit somthing with 3 pre outs would make life a lil easier 4 u wen the time comes 2 add future plans

yeah i want something with a few more pre-outs, hmm probably have to upgrade my wiring if i run 2 amps, i have an 8 or 10awg now so maybe 2awg leading into a distro block..

the other thing is i want to replace my broken manual antenna with an electric one, and hook it up so it goes up and down with the radio.. shouldnt be too hard to suss out
cheers

Shaneus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I would get a mono or 2 chan amp for your sub and run the front and rears off the 4 chan. once you have an amp running all speakers the H/U amp is made useless, problem good H/U have good amps.

They really should make good H/U without amps built in, to save costs for people who aren't going to make use of the built in amps.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the research:thumbsup: hmm still deciding, should i keep all my gear the same brands? pioneer make some decent cheap h/u's. ill probably buy it next week so a bit of time to decide yet.. the clarion i found is still looking enticing becasue it comes with free $90 coax's when u trade in your old h/u. but i dont think it has enough pre-outs, i need front left+right and rear left+right to bridge for the sub, so i need 4ch pre-outs? or does 1 channel refer to left and right?