Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hand Brake knock ?

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
hey, what is the noise that happen when you pull the Handbrake while the car is moving ?

what does it do ? and how ?

any info is appreciated :)

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
My question to you is why the hell are you pulling the handbrake on while the car is moving? :bang:

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
hey, what is the noise that happen when you pull the Handbrake while the car is moving ?

what does it do ? and how ?

any info is appreciated :)

at a guess i would say its the handbrake engaging,

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
its the handbrake shoes trying to be ripped out of the retainers because of the rotary force being applied that shouldn't be applied:thumbsup:

handbrakes should only be used when the car is stationary, ripping the handbrake up when driving will damage the transmission and or diff, in any car not just commodore

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
its the handbrake shoes trying to be ripped out of the retainers because of the rotary force being applied that shouldn't be applied:thumbsup:

handbrakes should only be used when the car is stationary, ripping the handbrake up when driving will damage the transmission and or diff, in any car not just commodore

I don't see how a hand brake can damage the tranny or diff??

The motion/torque is far too strong for a handbrake (To grab). The shoes inside will just slide against or fail to keep the wheel still.

But...I maybe wrong.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
well i know with my vz handbrake it is either on or off, unlike my mums vs where you can pull it up slowly and it will slowly engage. if i did the same in my car you wouldnt feel anything, then it would suddenly grab and lock the wheels.

so maybe the newer models have a different handbrake setup

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
I don't see how a hand brake can damage the tranny or diff??

The motion/torque is far too strong for a handbrake (To grab). The shoes inside will just slide against or fail to keep the wheel still.

But...I maybe wrong.

if the handbrake is adjust correctly it will immediatly lock the wheels, mine is adjusted to about 6 clicks and it does lock the wheels (ive never ripped them h/brake but have been quick at pulling it up when parking in a rush was stilll doing approx 2km/h),

the damage is done by inertia, if the diff or out-put shaft of a transmission etc is doing say 4,000 rpm, you rip the handbrake and it suddenly slows to 1000 rpm youve lost 3000 rpm in a fraction of a second, this immediate slowing effects will stretch or expand parts in the driveline which will either snap them, bend or spring back to shape

FusionX

Reaction score
Still yet to see a handbrake turn break something on a Commodore. We've done them heaps of times racing around the skidpans, only 1 car has broken something in the last 5 years and that was suspension related. Not saying it's bad for things under the car, but still yet to see anything break from it, just worn out shoes.

Drifters run hydraulic handbrakes. Completely different setup, but usually have strong drivelines anyway.