Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Handbrake Adjustment for Vs Commodore

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
I agree not an abba fan. The setup on the commodore is a drum handbrake setup. Not sure where the so called expert is coming from saying you need to adjust it at the disk.

But i think before he starts saying dont go to any one dodgy he needs to supply right information first. As far as my instructions go this is how i fixed my handbrake problems. If yours is real bad then you may need to replace the shoes or as Not an Abba Fan said adjust at wheel.

jazza21

Executive (Ex-Police)
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VS II Exec 1997
Adjust the cable as previously described. This cable streches over time and all you need to do is reel it back in a little. I had your exact issue on my VS and didn't even need to jack it up to fix it - although it was hard stretching under the car...

FYI, there is a Disk/Drum arrangement in the rear end. The "Y" cable leads to a drum within the rear wheels, then there's the disk brakes which are only used for driving. The drum brakes shouldn't (in theory) wear out, unless you tighten the handbrake cable too much and have those brakes on all the time...

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
for as long as you own a vb to vs disc rear commie, you will be adjusting h/b reguarly, i did mine when i got it, 3 months later and the lever is almost at the top of travel, i have to adjust hb of almost every one i service at work, always adjust at disc first, then cable if you need to, pulling the cable up tighter and tighter only encourages the cable to stretch and stretch even more, i think someone makes a conversion to fit the later handbrake, but not sure, and even better, you can buy a handbrake caliper that bolts onto the disc just above the brake caliper, then you hook up the cable to that, commie handbrakes are just crap