Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Handbrake bangs and clunks while driving.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
My handbrake is way out of adjustment and does almost nothing when it is pulled full on. Just today when leaving work something started making banging and snapping noises every now and then. First I thought it was a uni joint about to go, then I gradually pulled the handbrake lever on while was doing about 60kph and it started banging again and I could feel it plainly through the handbrake lever. In fact, sometimes I could make the noises come and go just by moving the lever.

Are these noises normal if the rear brake shoes are perhaps loose and flopping around, or is there maybe something way worse going on? When there was no noise there was absolutely no noise at all.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Normal when something falls off/breaks inside like the spring clip that is usually attached to the pin that locates the shoe.
Pull the disc off and investigate inside handbrake drum, last thing you want is it locking up unexpectedly while you're moving.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep, the rear retaining pin was missing and the clip was floating around inside, all beat up. Looks like the edge of the brake shoe was hitting against the inside ends of the wheel studs. Could have ended maximum poopy.

Hedge

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think I may have had this problem ... Had just got car back from panel eaters ... Drove home approx 3 Kim's all ok ... Next morn got around corner and car locked up completely ... Cld not be pushed off road in neutral ... Totally locked up rear wheels ... Towed ... Mechanic says driven with handbrake on and therefore not covered by warranty ... Hand brake was not on nor was alarm or light on ... What else cld cause this ... Think this sh be covered under warranty?

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
Check and see whether the edge of the handbrake shoe is all beat up. Just having the handbrake on will never do that. If the shoes are unrestrained and flopping around they will likely get minced up.