Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Handbrake question

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Aha which is it? In car or under? Wheres CommodoreNut when you need him :p

Its in the car under the cover beside the drivers seat..

There is also an adjustment at each wheel too but that normally only needs looking at when there is no more adjustment at the handle..

redrags

Reaction score
Members Ride
walking
bogan v8 is probably right. i just took a stab in the dark. sorry

Pete SS

Resident Pomme
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS M6
Mine only works on one wheel. Can I adjust something on the one that dosen't work or do you recon something needs replacing? To be honest I don't even know how they work, is there a drum behind the disc?

redrags

Reaction score
Members Ride
walking
Pete SS
stolen from Brakes: Drum vs. Disc
this doesnt help your problem but answers the other question
They were called drum brakes because the components were housed in a round drum that rotated along with the wheel. Inside was a set of shoes that, when the brake pedal was pressed, would force the shoes against the drum and slow the wheel

disc brakes use a slim rotor and small caliper to halt wheel movement. Within the caliper are two brake pads, one on each side of the rotor, that clamp together when the brake pedal is pressed

i figured you couldnt be ****ed reading the whole page and i couldnt be ****ed explaining it so i just stole it instead might be easier to understand with pictures.. google it

Pete SS

Resident Pomme
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS M6
sorry, I'll make myself clearer. I'm not sure how the VU handbrake works.

I know how discs and drums work but wasn't sure how holden had their setup. Some manufacturers have a disc and drum setup, where the disc works with the footbrake and the drum only is used for the handbrake. I wondered if this was the setup on the commodores.

donny 24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S Pack
sorry, I'll make myself clearer. I'm not sure how the VU handbrake works.

I know how discs and drums work but wasn't sure how holden had their setup. Some manufacturers have a disc and drum setup, where the disc works with the footbrake and the drum only is used for the handbrake. I wondered if this was the setup on the commodores.

Yeah that is how holden have set it up on the VU's

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
take off your back wheels and there will be a clip on the rotar, unscrew that and adjust ur handbrake lever accordingly by moving the adjustment disc.. make sure they arnt to tight however otherwise like it was mentioned it will brake while your not meaning... also next 2 the drivers seat is the easy way of adjusting and is quicker

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
mine broke last month, $31 for the cable, not hard to change just fiddeley being above the twin exhaust in your 6 shouldnt be too hard tho