Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Handbrake ratchet failure

ihaines

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Commodore S
Hi, the ratchet mechanism on my VYII S has just failed. Handbrake still works fine, but will not stay up. It does not click when you lift the handle either (normally I would push the button when operating). Any suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks.

daniel555

Custom VY Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
Yep. Mine has recentaly just broken, Still to get fixed.

Slide the hand brake cover off, And the button lever thing would have come away from the part it connects too.
Hard to explain, but you'll know what i mean when u slide it off.
I havent gotten mine fixed yet, Hopefully next week, But thats what im guessing your prob is.

Here is a pick to explain what i meant.
HANDBRAKE.jpg

That yellow thing comes away from the hook thing. (Sorry for all the "things")
Dunno if yours is as bad as mine, but my yellow thing and grabbing thing needs replacing, One of the grabbers hooks has broken off and the yellow thing has been scrached-rubbed away.

Hope it helps.

ihaines

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Commodore S
Thanks Daniel555, looks like it may be the same thing. Time for the first dumb question. How do you get the button and plastic piece off first so you can remove the rubber boot?

ihaines

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Commodore S
Thanks again, you were right, it is exactly the same fault as yours. Any idea where to get a replacement and possible cost? Would you trust one from a wreckers if they had them?

ihaines

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Commodore S
I'll do that. Thanks for your help, have a great night.

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
very easy, seat all the way back and up undo two bolts and the little nut that holds the cable then reverse the procedure to install. a few minutes tops.