Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hard Braking = Vibrations through pedal and audible from front of car

ingram

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX2 Exec
Doing roughly 80Km and I applied the brakes moderately hard to come to a full stop. I got a kind of grinding shudder feeling from the front of the car and felt it through the pedal quite easily. I would say braking performance was not very good and I definitely got an adrenaline rush feeling like I was out of control.

Car was recently RWC and had brake pads changed at the same time. No more than 6 months ago. I've talked to friends and even took one for a drive to recreate but I could only get very slight vibrations (Hard braking at 60-70Km I didn't go all the way to 80km) and I don't think he felt them. Putting it down to the ABS but I don't think so?

Appreciate any feedback, I'm hoping this isn't going to be expensive as I have more important things to throw money at like dental bills :(

89vn_Jai

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exectutive
Machine the front disc rotors if the they have enough thickness on them

Edit: actually re read your thread, actually sounds more like abs coming on.
If the disc rotors need machining they will also start to vibrate at moderate levels of braking also

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Sounds like ABS to me, its what it is meant to do.
when you brake hard You feel a vibration through the pedal strong enough to push your foot back and forward.
I would say 99% it was ABS kicking in.

many people wonder the feeling even i was like WTF IS WRONG first time but when i went on the defensive driving course they explained this and said it is very normal.

Actually many people think something is wrong and let go ending up smashing into something.

I wouldnt say it was your discs.
when you brake lightly does your car wobble? if not then its not the discs.

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Had the exact same problem caused my rotor runout, my rotors had heat spots all over them. Machine the rotors or buy a new pair and your done.

Lol it's got nothing to do with your ABS.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
ABS only functions when the wheel has come to a complete lock, The ABS module then kicks in to unlock then lock and so on, The ABS is controlled by a sensor on the wheel hub that detects a completely locked wheel. It will not cause this pedal issue until you have locked it. Id say you have warped rotors this can cause pedal feed back, i had it with my vy with warped rotors, i would only get shudder with heavy braking not light braking, usually from 110 to 60 while pulling off a freeway.
Replaced them with some RDA rotors and new pads for $130

Last edited:

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
machining rotors is a waste of time/money, better to buy new ones.

Chris_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
If its not doing it at low speeds its not the rotors. It does sound like the abs kicking in.
Go jump in your car and SLAM on the brakes, enough for abs to kick in and let us know if thats what you felt

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Hot spots on rotors don't generally vibrate at low speeds, unless your rotors are warped.

ingram

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX2 Exec
Hmmm split decision!

I will do some more testing later tonight. You would think the rotors and what have you would be given the A-Ok from the RWC and also the service it got before I bought it (Just checked the invoice, rear pads were replaced but not the front. They must have had some use in them still.)

As I said in my original post, I tried recreating the problem at speeds of 60km but was barely able to. I would say at this point I'm pointing the finger at the ABS because I have no issues with light braking or even medium braking.