Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS3] Hard to start after Cam Upgrade

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Hey Guys,
A week ago today I got the cam done along with pushrods, underdrive pulley and tune in my LS3 Clubsport, powers great, sounds great but that's where the fun stops imho.

It runs hell rich on startup, that I was expecting so no biggie there however I have 3 concerns at this stage and wondering whether these would be considered as 'normal' before getting back in touch with the place that did it:
  1. If I start the car and head down to the local BP probably 2km away to grab a coffee I jump back in the car and it struggles to start, flick the key, the revs are low as hell almost to stalling point then it roars to life after say 3 seconds, not what I'm used to being flick the key and it starts perfectly without sputtering. This can easily be reproduced by starting the car up for a few seconds and shutting it down and repeating not that I like doing this. I stalled the car thanks to the next issue yesterday and it took me 5 - 6 attempts to get the car going again, I had to resort to using throttle for the very first time ever to start the car.
  2. On take off there's seems to be what I can only describe as a flat spot with very light throttle applications, a quick blip of the throttle to bring the rev's up to match the clutch coming out it almost seems to miss.
  3. This probably falls under number 2 as well but here we go. The car now hates low speed (20kph or less) for instance work car park where we are required to do 10kph, when using very light throttle (around say 1500 - 1700rpm) the car surges almost as if I'm putting my foot on and off the clutch, a bit like bunny hopping when we first learnt to drive a manual ;) It gets into that rhythmic pattern, other than riding the clutch I'm not sure how else to overcome this.

The cam specs I am not sure but it was around 228 (wouldn't divulge any further details), power delivery 1700 - 7000rpm from what I've been told but my belief the tune isn't right.

I think I put all the details up but any questions by all means shoot away.

Any helped appreciated.

Cheers
Darren

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
Ok firstly I think you need a new mechanic/tuner because obviously they aren't very good if they can't sort things like hot start up etc, and I would laugh in the face of any shop who refused to divulge the specs of a cam I was paying them to fit.

the issues you are having though
1: Get a new tune
2: Get a new tune
3: This is the nature of big cam's, they advertise a working rev range for a reason. Below the cam's "happy" zone it will "cam roll" so to speak and buck around like a bitch. On the road, pick a lower gear, in car parks it can take some practice.

That said, I don't think a cam in the 228 (not alot to go off) range should be that hard to live with in an LS3. These things have massive tuneability and I have personally been in LS3 powered vehicles with larger cams than yours that the first two issue's are non existant and the 3rd is not that bad.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
lol geez I wrote some awesome shakespeare in that first post, great typos ;) corrected now.

Thanks for that, it certainly confirms my suspicions re 1 & 2 as something certainly isn't right, I'll get back in touch with them and see what they say.

The really odd thing is they seem to be well known in Adelaide especially for their exhausts.

ASAUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS UTe Cammed
I don't blame tuners for not sharing cam specs especially if they designed it. Take it back to him, I'm sure he'll sort it.

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
Cam specs are not the be all and end all of a motor. And this setup is not the pinnacle of racing development, there is no reason to keep the specs secret. And lastly if you buy something then you own it, you have a legal right to know what you are being sold.

If the tuner/shop is worth their reputation then by all means take it back to them, explain the problems and get them to touch up the tune. Not all tuning issues can be ironed out on a dyno and sometimes a street driven tune is needed. Good shops warrant their tunes for a period of time so don't put it off, my tuner warranted mine for a month.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Just got back and seems to be no hassles at all, very helpful and sympathetic infact.

The guy I needed to speak to wasn't there which was understandable given we can't work every weekend but the person I spoke to mentioned certainly tune related so backs up my thoughts and others, mind is at ease now.

Will keep this updated.

ASAUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS UTe Cammed
Maybe. But if you came up with something that no one else was using and it worked really well

scott w

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS and 2010 CX captiva
what is the name of the shop your dealing with , if you dont mind me asking

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
sounds like Kay Pea eM to me

scott w

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS and 2010 CX captiva
yeah i was in there thursday week ago having a go at them about there exhaust on my VE SS and there after sales service and they said they were fitting a cam to a silver commodore , i wondered if it was the same vehicle