Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hard to start?

ElDubya

Mad As A Meataxe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Commodore V6
Hi all,

Lately, my VR SS has become hard to start. I can turn the key to the start position, and sometimes it can take 5 seconds for it to start winding over. More often that not though, it only takes around 2 seconds.

How can I fix this?

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
:)Stop being slack and do a search:)

ElDubya

Mad As A Meataxe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Commodore V6
Okay. Up to page 15 of my search and still no definiteive answer that I can find? What's your next little pearl of wisdom, or should I just give up and post on another forum?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It's possible the battery in the key is going flat. Also check that it makes good contact where it goes into the ignition keyhole - it must make electrical contact.
Maybe supply more info - like only difficult when hot etc plus any recent work done to engine/electrics......the more clues the better.

ElDubya

Mad As A Meataxe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Commodore V6
Thanks Hako. No recent mods, but I have noticed nearly all VR-VS I get in, the problem is evident in almost all of them to a certain degree.

Some take a split second to start turning over, and some like mine can sometimes take up to 5 seconds. I am thinking of replacing the relay for the starter and see if that fixes anything. I will definitely try pushing the key into the ignition hard as I turn it and see if that does anything.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Thanks Hako. No recent mods, but I have noticed nearly all VR-VS I get in, the problem is evident in almost all of them to a certain degree.

Some take a split second to start turning over, and some like mine can sometimes take up to 5 seconds. I am thinking of replacing the relay for the starter and see if that fixes anything. I will definitely try pushing the key into the ignition hard as I turn it and see if that does anything.

If you happen to find out what is causing the extended amount of time need of cranking over for your VR/VS please do share as my ute is the same and takes a little longer to crank then i would think is necessary. It seems with my VS Ute that if i crank it over before letting the fuel pump prime it starts quicker then after letting it prime? Any ideas?
It is the fuel pump im hearing right?

Also just to add i have a m8 with a VS that has a lot of kms and well it is way worse then mine lol

Thanks
Matt

pr0n

It's A Me ' MARIO '
Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY II S V6
my vp does the same thing, afters its just been started turn it off and turn it back on and it starts instantly, cold starts or even like 10 mins after you turn it off and it can take upto 5 seconds to start, trying to figure it out myself

hsvpunk

volunteer firefighter
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss II M6
ive had similar problem also.
Ive tried 3 of my keys, and problem still there.
key into ignition, turn key not start.
put car into neutral, turn key, cars start fine.

Im guessing the park gear sensor is up **** creek, and will go visit Mr Automatic on friday after work, to see if he is able to fix this poblem i have.
My dad has also said that the ignition barrel could be on its way out, so that maybe your problem too.