Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hard tonneau cover

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
The original owner of my (Aug '17) SSVR ute told me he ordered it without the sports bar. I guess the dealer could have removed it and supplied the standard tonneau cover prior to delivery. There's no marks or evidence I can see that a sports bar was ever fitted.
There'd be no marks because it attaches where the tie-down brackets are.

Paulymac

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline 17
I wanted to keep the black sports bar as it was standard for the my17 redline, being the last of the Holden’s , when I put my deposit down 6 months before I picked it up I left instructions that if they were able to fit a hard lid with the sports bar it comes with, go a head and do it , I was told by my 1st sales rep, we will keep you up to date with the build , 3 sales reps later the last one who I never met rang to say ,, Good news Paul we can fit the hard lid to your Ute would you like to go ahead with that , I said yes long as it’s the same sports bar on there now sweet as go for it ,he was yeah all good see you Friday, all turned to **** when I went to pick it up and it had the chrome sports bar on it , I never got to meet the sales rep was told he works at there Mitsubishi branch , I think the manager rang him to say don’t come down we got a maniac on our yard. anyway no hard tonneau cover 5 screw holes in the back I’ve had a few beers bit of a rant , cheers

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
I wanted to keep the black sports bar as it was standard for the my17 redline, being the last of the Holden’s , when I put my deposit down 6 months before I picked it up I left instructions that if they were able to fit a hard lid with the sports bar it comes with, go a head and do it , I was told by my 1st sales rep, we will keep you up to date with the build , 3 sales reps later the last one who I never met rang to say ,, Good news Paul we can fit the hard lid to your Ute would you like to go ahead with that , I said yes long as it’s the same sports bar on there now sweet as go for it ,he was yeah all good see you Friday, all turned to **** when I went to pick it up and it had the chrome sports bar on it , I never got to meet the sales rep was told he works at there Mitsubishi branch , I think the manager rang him to say don’t come down we got a maniac on our yard. anyway no hard tonneau cover 5 screw holes in the back I’ve had a few beers bit of a rant , cheers
I can’t say I’ve ever seen the slimmer, black sports bar combined with a hard tonneau. I’m thinking the sales guy may have meant “good news, we can fit the hard lid” but unfortunately didn’t explain that they would have to change the sports bar to the thicker chrome bar to do it??...in other words very poorly communicated to you??

Paulymac

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline 17
Yes really bad communication was probably the worst buying a car experience ive had , I ran into a bloke in a car park one day he had a my17 redline Ute , hard tonneau cover no sports bar it sits in his garage he said can’t be done

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Yes really bad communication was probably the worst buying a car experience ive had , I ran into a bloke in a car park one day he had a my17 redline Ute , hard tonneau cover no sports bar it sits in his garage he said can’t be done
Yes that doesn’t surprise me...with the hardlid being made by a third party there’s no way Holden would have sought to source a new design to accomodate the slimmer shaped bar...even if they had tried no one would have forecast enough sales to make manufacture financially viable with Holden about to shutter at the time.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
There'd be no marks because it attaches where the tie-down brackets are.

1630154989937.png

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Extract:
SS V Redline highlights over SS and SV6:

 Rear Brembo and front front Brembo brakes  Black 19-inch alloy wheels  Colour Head-up Display  Forward Collision Alert  Lane Departure Warning  FE3 ultra sports tuned suspension  Launch Control (Manual Transmission) and Competitive Mode  Paddle-shifters (only on AT)  Jet black interior (with optional titanium interior highlights)  NEW Black grille, fender vents, mirror scalps and DRL surrounds  NEW “V” sill plates  NEW Jade black applique on instrument panel/steering wheel  NEW Black sports bar

Mine hasn't got black mirror scalps they're red (body colour) or a black (SV6) steering wheel applique, it's silver. It's got the "V" sill plates but I've never seen a picture of another MY17 Redline ute with them and thought they were retrofitted.

20210829_022829.jpg

Paulymac

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline 17
sports bar brake light is level, not sure about the black rims and sports bar ruining the ute ,not a big fan of the chrome look ,so when i eventually get a new exhaust it will have black tips as well (carbon fibre look).
No i havent seen the the V sills either , i thought the last models they got rid of all that shiny stuff and made them all black ?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Mine hasn't got black mirror scalps they're red (body colour) or a black (SV6) steering wheel applique, it's silver. It's got the "V" sill plates but I've never seen a picture of another MY17 Redline ute with them and thought they were retrofitted.

View attachment 226042

The sill plates have definitely been aftermarket fitted as the Redline Utes didn't come with the them plus if they did they would have the Redline logo and not the V.

I've seen a few Utes where the owners have fitted the front sill plates from the Redline sedan but you have to modify them to fit properly.

Holden VF Commodore SSV REDLINE Sill Scuff Plates BRAND NEW GENUINE GM Set of 4 | eBay

1630200271601.png

My understanding was that all 2017 Redlines came with black mirror caps.

I bought a set for my 2016 but I've never bothered to fit them.

VE VF COMMODORE CALAIS SS SS-V REDLINE HSV BLACK MIRROR COVERS GM NEW | eBay

I've used the ebay links to show the parts, I actually purchased my sills and caps from the spare parts department of my local Holden dealership.

I know this is going to sound stupid but have you checked the build date on your Ute?