Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

harmonic balancer removal what puller????? HELP!!

kronich3244

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Manual, VZ SV6 Manual
hey guys im doing a underdrive balancer and belt kit on my sv6 ive got everything off cracked the balancer bolt but i cant seem to get the balancer off... i have tryed using 2 different types of pullers but as i get tension the arms just slip out... ive tryed grabbing it from the outside and tryed from the inside.. also tryed from the inside but grabbing the outter edges... has anyone removed one of thease before on their alloytec and have any useful hints for me or even what type of puller they used... thanks!!!

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
you grab the inside ring (closest to bolt) with a large puller (16mm minimum bolt in puller as a guide only)
if the pullers claws arent in good condition they will slip,
i have had to file them flat on the odd occasion where they bite onto the pulley so they dont slip
and hold it really tight as you wind the bolt in so it grabs better...

otherwise i dont know why it wouldnt work for you as i have done it this way many times...

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
GGT tools part number for the Alloytec-specific puller is GGT180.

Be warned though, they're not cheap.

kronich3244

Reaction score
Members Ride
wholey f**k thats expensive for a puller... my mate who is a fully qualifyed diesel mechanic is gunna come around tomoz after work and have a go.. he has a few different pullers he is going to bring with him, so i think ill give that a try first lol

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
Very good idea, I wouldn't fork that much out for what might be something you use only once.

Good luck :)

kronich3244

Reaction score
Members Ride
got it off got the new powerbond one on!!! i used the smallest puller you could buy from repco and got it off in a couple of seconds!!

treyflip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
i did mine a couple months ago, the crankshaft bolt was easy but we snapped an arm on the pulley puller when trying to get the stock balancer off. pain in the ass but was worth it!