Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Harmonic Balancer

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
So I'm driving back from work this arvo, and hear this rattle at low speeds and idling at the lights...I think to myself hmm better check that out when I get home. So I get home, turn the engine off CLUNK!!! oh **** that ain't good...pop the bonnet and start it up again CLUNK!!!

RACV guy checks it out and says "you need to replace your harmonic balancer, hope the mechanics aren't to far.."

So...is there any 'good types or brands' of harmonic balancersanybody could recommend ? any to stay away from? Or is a harmonic balancer a harmonic balancer?

It's for a VR V6 auto if it matters....

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I just used a recoed exchange one from Repco but they ain't cheap but a factory new one was more and it was a drama trying to get it off because the big bolt wouldn't let go.It rattled off with a air spanner finally and I made a puller to get it off the shaft.

O

OHMYVY

mine went on my vr and the mechanic said it was hard to get off. how many klm have you doin??? he just put a recon one on. i and i sold the car after that. i had spent $7000 on that car just to keep it on the road for a year.that was the last straw.

U

undertaker07

fair size job, just hope you can get the centre bolt out they tend to stick with age. approx cost up to $200

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
Job's done :D The mechanics didn't have a problem taking the bolt off, so the car's running again with a new balancer.

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
Vibration at idle. My VR V6 developed a helluva racket at idle all of a sudden. This was accompanied by a distinctive 'clunk' on start-up & shutdown. Climbed under it with a short hose to do the stethescope thing & diagnosed a timing chain cos the noise was at the bottom of the motor & appeared internal. After the usual 'oh bother darn's I had a look at this forum & saw all the posts about harmonic balancers. Lo & behold - the bloody obvious crack all the way around the rim of the balancer & extremely perished rubber was a bit of a give-away.

So, lesson learned - do a bit of research & don't jump to conclusions.

Thanks everyone for participating in this forum so I wouldn't go pushing my VR off a cliff.

cheers